Swaffham CC get back to winning ways
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham got back to winning ways in Division Two of the Norfolk Alliance on Saturday when they came through a tight game against Bradenham.
Aftre losing their previous two games they ended up winning by three wickets after their hosts had recovered from 105-8 to get their total up to 193.
An unbeaten 72 from No 8 Alex Bates frustrated Swaffham, with tail-enders Joe Taylor and Martin Fox helping him put on 88 for the final two wickets. David Annakin was the most successful bowler with figures of 3-41.
The visitors were then indebted to Jasper Payne (62) and Alex Payne (47 not out) as they overhauled their target in the 38th over after being 111-6 at one stage.
With three wins in their opening five matches, Swaffham will now be aiming to maintain their progress when they host Ashmanaugh and Barton Wanderers on Saturday (1pm).
Thetford Town moved to the top of Division One at the weekend when they beat Norwich A by six wickets at Mundford Road,
They restricted the visitors to 201 and then got home in the 30th over, with Ryan Conroy unbeaten on 98 at the end.
- 1 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 2 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 3 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 4 Female governor of Norfolk prison says job is 'easier than being a mum'
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Woman in 70s left with life-threatening injuries after crash near Swaffham
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Video footage appeal after car crashed into A47 central reservation
- 9 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
Norwich chose to bat first on a scorching day and never took advantage of the ideal batting conditions, with their total well under par.
Joe Hills (5-1-14-3) and James Baulch (6-0-19-1) ripped through the top four while the experience of Neil Lockwood (10-0-41-2) and Craig Baulch (10-1-32-2) proved pivotal to restricting the away side.
Thetford got off to a quick start in reply but lost early wickets as well as scoring at seven runs an over for the first 10.
A superb 98 not out from Conroy took the game away from Norwich.
He was supported by Lockwood (18) and Craig Baulch (24 not out), with the latter smashing the winning runs to send Thetford top of the table, a point ahead of morning leaders Bradfield, who suffered their first defeat of the campaign at the hands of an in-form Dereham side.
Thetford make the short trip to Diss on Saturday (1pm).
Thetford Town A (168-3) beat Ashmanhaugh & Barton Wanderers A (167-6) in Division Six. They are at home to Denver on Saturday.