Success for Swaffham kickboxers
Two kickboxers from Swaffham Kickboxing Club took part in Fight Night 13 kickboxing evening at the Riverside Club, Stowmarket.
The evening was a complete ticket sell-out, with clubs travelling to fight on the show from all over East Anglia.
Well done to the huge amount of supporters who travelled to the venue by coach and cars, to cheer the Swaffham boys on.
Representing Swaffham in the light middleweight semi-contact division, was Trevor Davies 70kg fighting Luke Walker 72kg, from Scorpion Kickboxing Academy.
Trevor, in the first round, let his opponent come forward with his skills, but the second and third final round saw Trevor dominate the ring with his skill and fitness giving a unanimous decision win to team Swaffham.
The end of the evening saw full- contact super heavyweight Leon Zalums 108kg fighting Mike Poppy 124kg from Millennium Kickboxing.
The weigh-in difference did not deter the Swaffham fighter.
- 1 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 2 Decision expected within weeks on 40 homes in village
- 3 'Man with a van' fined for dumping waste in village
- 4 Inquest into Banham Poultry deaths adjourned again amid manslaughter probe
- 5 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 6 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 7 Perfect close-up of 'Wolf Moon' captured in Norfolk by astrophotographer
- 8 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 9 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 10 People who test positive on lateral flows no longer need PCR
In the first round Leon sat back and tested the opponent's skill, but Millenniums man was no match in the second and final round when Zalums unleashed his ringcraft and power putting Poppy on the ropes with nowhere to go. Again a superb win for team Swaffham.
The next fight date for Swaffham will be away in November.
There will also be a final club grading for the year at the Swaffham Leisure Centre included in this month. Good luck to all who take part.
Swaffham Kickboxing have been invited to compete at the next WAKO British championships to be held at the Harvey Hadden Sports Centre, Nottingham.
Selected winners will represent Great Britain in various international tournaments later on in the year, so well worth putting the time and effort in to reach this high level of kickboxing.
Trainer Peter Parker-Colman would like to thank the two fighters for putting in the dedicated time at the club to get such high fight results.
Also many thanks to the clubs other instructors Sharon Clark and Gary Smith for helping organise such an eventful evening. Thanks also go to Charlie Harwood (personal trainer), and cornerman Paul Cocksedge.
Many thanks also goes to Narford Scaffolding and Heygate Farms for their support.
Anybody who is interested in taking up this popular martial art can contact the Swaffham Leisure Centre for details 01760 724046.