Spirited showing by Swaffham

PUBLISHED: 18:36 30 September 2009 | UPDATED: 11:26 08 July 2010

Swaffham will want to retain the team spirit and conviction they showed in beating Cornard when they host Saffron Walden in Ridgeons Division One on Saturday (3pm).

Swaffham will want to retain the team spirit and conviction they showed in beating Cornard when they host Saffron Walden in Ridgeons Division One on Saturday (3pm).

Then they are at home to Great Yarmouth Town on Tuesday (7.45pm) in the Ridgeons First Division Knock-Out Cup preliminary round.

Cornard Utd 1, Swaffham Town 2

SWAFFHAM won the toss and pushed forward from the off with the first opportunity seeing Kyle Plumb narrowly missing a first-minute free- kick delivery from Ben Russell.

The Pedlars continued the pressure playing positive one-touch football.

Ian Simmons and Andrew Hunter combined to set up Gavin Norman for a shot cleared from the line by the Cornard right-back and then Russell teed up Scott Voutt for a 25-yard strike, caught by the Cornard keeper on the second attempt.

The deadlock was broken in the 33rd minute when Hunter played into the box to Norman and his shot was turned in by Plumb.

Further attempts before the break by Ben Russell, Kyle Plumb and Gavin Norman saw Swaffham very much the dominant side going in at half-time.

Cornard came out fighting but Swaffham kept applying the pressure with a close miss by Simon Jones from an Andy Hunter corner delivery.

Cornard countered and Lee Brookes pushed over the bar from a 35-yard shot, the subsequent corner going straight for a goal-kick.

A long clearance from Ian Simmons was met by Norman who turned and beat two defenders to slide past the keeper for Swaffham's second.

Cornard rallied and replied in the 61st minute from a loose ball in the Swaffham box not being positively cleared.

Matthew Kenny replaced Scott Voutt in the 70th minute. Played was stopped in the 76th minute when the Cornard number five Dan Clark, went down in an innocuous challenge, turning his ankle under and clearly breaking it.

Played was delayed for 67 minutes while a paramedic attended the injury and an ambulance eventually arrived to take the player to hospital.

During the delay the Swaffham players remained focused and kept their tiring muscles free from cramp.

The match resumed with 14 minutes plus stoppage time remaining. Swaffham held out, showing team spirit and conviction to bring all three points home.

On Saturday, Swaffham Reserves travel to South Walsham (kick-off 2.30pm) and the A team are at home to Cockers in the Sound and Vision Junior League Cup First Round (kick-off 3pm).

Also, Saturday there is a disco, club members and over-18s, 7.30pm, £3 entrance.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Watton and Swaffham Times. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Watton and Swaffham Times