Soggy play at Swaffham
Swaffham Golf Club held its Mixed Open recently in what could only be described as slightly damp conditions. Following several very heavy downpours in the preceding days the pins were placed on the highest points on the greens with hope that the rains would miss Swaffham.
Swaffham Golf Club held its Mixed Open recently in what could only be described as slightly damp conditions.
Following several very heavy downpours in the preceding days the pins were placed on the highest points on the greens with hope that the rains would miss Swaffham.
Ninety-two golfers representing 28 golf clubs from across the region managed to play a greensome stableford competition despite a torrential downpour just as the first players started their round.
With some degree of luck the course remained playable and the sun came out for most of the afternoon. Despite the wet conditions the course was presented to the highest standard and an excellent meal followed the golf.
You may also want to watch:
The results are as follows:
Men's nearest the pin on the 6th hole: Roger Byford (Gosford Lakes Golf Club).
- 1 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 2 Unique Norfolk tower wins national architecture award
- 3 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 4 The most popular baby names in Norfolk in 2020 are revealed
- 5 BMW stolen from driveway in small Norfolk village
- 6 People urged to share their views on the future of Breckland towns
- 7 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 8 Fly-tipping couple fined £400 for dumping mattress
- 9 Elizabeth Truss and Dominic Raab to share access to mansion after PM ruling
- 10 Roads to close in Swaffham for Christmas market weekend
Ladies nearest the pin on the 16th: Mary Gamble (Bawburgh Golf Club).
Fourth place went to Malcolm & Christine Fuller Feltwell 37 points. Third place Ronnie and Betty Engledow (King's Lynn), 37 points on count back.
Second place Anthony Bird (Royal Cromer) and Mary MacClean (Mundsley GC) 40 points on count back.
First place went to Roger and Margaret Byford (Gosford Lakes) 40 points on count back.
The winners (above) are from left: Christine Fuller, Malcolm Fuller, Betty Engledow, Ronnie Engledow, First Place winners Roger Byford & Margaret Byford, Mary MacClean & Anthony Bird.