Soggy play at Swaffham
Swaffham Golf Club held its Mixed Open recently in what could only be described as slightly damp conditions. Following several very heavy downpours in the preceding days the pins were placed on the highest points on the greens with hope that the rains would miss Swaffham.
Swaffham Golf Club held its Mixed Open recently in what could only be described as slightly damp conditions.
Following several very heavy downpours in the preceding days the pins were placed on the highest points on the greens with hope that the rains would miss Swaffham.
Ninety-two golfers representing 28 golf clubs from across the region managed to play a greensome stableford competition despite a torrential downpour just as the first players started their round.
With some degree of luck the course remained playable and the sun came out for most of the afternoon. Despite the wet conditions the course was presented to the highest standard and an excellent meal followed the golf.
You may also want to watch:
The results are as follows:
Men's nearest the pin on the 6th hole: Roger Byford (Gosford Lakes Golf Club).
- 1 Five-acre allotment site to be sold after failed council land swap deal
- 2 UEA expert: Covid isolation 'will still be needed in a year's time'
- 3 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 1,000-year-old church to hold fundraising concerts
- 6 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 7 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 8 Stunning double rainbows follow thunderstorms
- 9 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
Ladies nearest the pin on the 16th: Mary Gamble (Bawburgh Golf Club).
Fourth place went to Malcolm & Christine Fuller Feltwell 37 points. Third place Ronnie and Betty Engledow (King's Lynn), 37 points on count back.
Second place Anthony Bird (Royal Cromer) and Mary MacClean (Mundsley GC) 40 points on count back.
First place went to Roger and Margaret Byford (Gosford Lakes) 40 points on count back.
The winners (above) are from left: Christine Fuller, Malcolm Fuller, Betty Engledow, Ronnie Engledow, First Place winners Roger Byford & Margaret Byford, Mary MacClean & Anthony Bird.