Smart efforts wasted by Saham Toney at Old Buckenham
- Credit: Archant Norfolk
Saham Toney visited Old Buckenham and left with their tails between their legs after suffering a embarrassing four-wicket defeat in Division Two of the Dipple & Conway Norfolk Cricket Alliance.
After being asked to bat first on a good looking track Saham set about posting a competitive score, despite the early loss of Ady Wood for no score.
Ben Smart, returning to the top of the order, and Mark Hunter, promoted to three, set about the home side's attack with an excellent partnership of 198 in 31 overs before Hunter was dismissed for an excellent 86. Smart continued his innings to bring up his first hundred for the club.
Nathan King (26) and skipper Simon Mower (19no) upped the run rate for the final push and with Smart scoring yet another boundary brought the innings to a declaration with Saham on 274-3 in 41 overs with Smart carrying his bat to finish a faultless innings on 137 not out.
What came next will haunt Saham's season as a poor bowling and fielding display allowed the home side to knock off the runs to everyone's surprise in the 51st over with three balls to spare.
You may also want to watch:
A lack of discipline and a few fortunate decisions by home side's umpires saw Old Buckenham keep up the run rate throughout to record a stunning victory.
Saham, now in fourth place, have key players back this week as they look to recover after suffering two defeats in a row as they entertain third-placed Thetford at Pages Lane on Saturday.
- 1 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 2 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
- 3 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 4 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
- 5 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 6 Covid jabs available on drop-in basis at pharmacies
- 7 Family's joy as beloved dog returns home after week-long search
- 8 Man in coma after racism row sparks doorstep stone attack
- 9 7 things to do in Norfolk with the family this weekend
- 10 Find out who made the Norfolk Day Drabble writing competition shortlist
Thetford lost by 16 runs at Norwich A at the weekend and have six more points than Saham so far.
In Division Three West of the Norfolk Cricket League, Saham Toney A yet again entertained the morning leaders Rackheath at Pages Lane.
Rackheath, batting first, were surprisingly dismissed for a below par score of 89 all out, with Xavier Huckle taking five wickets and brother Eube Huckle grabbing three.
Saham, despite losing five wickets, comfortably knocked off the required runs with Matty Webster recording another half century to finish 51 not out.
The victory leaves Saham A in fourth place in Division 3W.
This Saturday the A team travel to bottom-of-the-table Old Buckenham B.