Saham Toney left frustrated by Downham Town A
- Credit: Archant
Saham Toney were left disappointed when they were unable to finish off Downham Town A in Division Two of the Dipple & Conway Opticians Norfolk Alliance.
The match finished in a losing draw, with Saham taking 14 points and Downham leaving Pages Lane with 10 points.
Saham were looking to extend their two-match winning streak to keep their slim chances of promotion alive. With rain and overcast conditions around, it was no surprise that after losing the toss Saham were asked to bat.
Saham made a steady start with Ady Wood and Ben Smart putting on 74 in 23 overs. A freak moment saw this opening stand broken when Wood was run out at the non-striker's end when a shot by Smart was deflected onto the stumps by the bowler with Wood out of his ground for 29.
Saham lost Xavier Huckle without adding anymore, and this seemed to put them on the back foot but Smart and Andy McGeorge made sure Saham built a positive score.
You may also want to watch:
After their 110 partnership last week at Bungay, the pair put on 101 before Smart was dismissed for 67. Saham had reached 175 in the 43rd over and then scored 52 in the last three overs without any further loss, as McGeorge finished unbeaten on a run-a-ball 86 and Simon Mower 23 not out off eight balls. This left Saham on 227 for three.
But Saham's bowlers weren't able to get Downham out, with Mark Hunter and Ollie Mowles taking two wickets, as Downham finished on 208 for six.
- 1 Household Cavalry to make Norfolk return
- 2 Couple reveal reason for closing 30-year-old firm
- 3 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 4 'Suspicious package' turns out to be hidden treasure chest
- 5 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 6 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 7 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 8 Election 2021: Norfolk and Suffolk council candidates published
- 9 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 10 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
Saham now visit third-placed Fakenham A on Saturday looking to continue this recent good run.