Saham Toney left frustrated by Downham Town A
- Credit: Archant
Saham Toney were left disappointed when they were unable to finish off Downham Town A in Division Two of the Dipple & Conway Opticians Norfolk Alliance.
The match finished in a losing draw, with Saham taking 14 points and Downham leaving Pages Lane with 10 points.
Saham were looking to extend their two-match winning streak to keep their slim chances of promotion alive. With rain and overcast conditions around, it was no surprise that after losing the toss Saham were asked to bat.
Saham made a steady start with Ady Wood and Ben Smart putting on 74 in 23 overs. A freak moment saw this opening stand broken when Wood was run out at the non-striker's end when a shot by Smart was deflected onto the stumps by the bowler with Wood out of his ground for 29.
Saham lost Xavier Huckle without adding anymore, and this seemed to put them on the back foot but Smart and Andy McGeorge made sure Saham built a positive score.
You may also want to watch:
After their 110 partnership last week at Bungay, the pair put on 101 before Smart was dismissed for 67. Saham had reached 175 in the 43rd over and then scored 52 in the last three overs without any further loss, as McGeorge finished unbeaten on a run-a-ball 86 and Simon Mower 23 not out off eight balls. This left Saham on 227 for three.
But Saham's bowlers weren't able to get Downham out, with Mark Hunter and Ollie Mowles taking two wickets, as Downham finished on 208 for six.
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 3 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 4 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea
- 5 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 6 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 7 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 8 Pony hire business to offer circus shows in your garden
- 9 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 10 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
Saham now visit third-placed Fakenham A on Saturday looking to continue this recent good run.