Sabres' cutting edge
SWAFFHAM RFC played host to an U18 girls' rugby match between Suffolk Sabres and Letchworth at the weekend, won 17-10 by Sabres.The Swaffham girls' squad provided two players for the Sabres squad with Kelsey and Alex included in the side.
SWAFFHAM RFC played host to an U18 girls' rugby match between Suffolk Sabres and Letchworth at the weekend, won 17-10 by Sabres.
The Swaffham girls' squad provided two players for the Sabres squad with Kelsey and Alex included in the side.
This was a welcome return for Alex after a serious knee injury.
Both Alex and Kelsey very much contributed to the end result - Alex claiming a try and Kelsey being a formidable force at tight-head in the scrum.
The club and county are organising further games shortly and hopefully both Kelsey and Alex together with their squad-mates will be back playing again this week at Wymondham.
Both sides were somewhat reduced in numbers through injuries and other commitments and played a competitive and entertaining 10-a-side match.
- 1 Road closed after overhead powerlines go down
- 2 Converted water tower home to appear on Grand Designs
- 3 Banham Poultry deaths: Police investigate possible manslaughter
- 4 Drag Race star Bimini Bon Boulash announced for new festival at estate
- 5 RAF Marham fighter pilot crashes £100m F-35 in Mediterranean Sea
- 6 Opinion: Has 2021 been the dawn of a new 'Good Life'?
- 7 Former convent sold for £400,000 and could be converted into family home
- 8 A47 works to continue with further road closures
- 9 What do Amazon's credit card changes mean for you?
- 10 Objects found by metal detectorists declared as treasure
Letchworth were quickest out of the blocks and found themselves 5-0 up. Sabres steadied themselves and started to put a few phases together. Letchworth then turned over the ball at a ruck and played themselves into a good attacking position. From some direct and aggressive running they had the ball over the try line and only determined defence from Sabres, in this instance Kelsey delivering a shuddering tackle and wrapping the ball up, stopped them scoring again.
Sabres put together the best move of the game, setting up and recycling the ball through five or six phases before the ball was moved to the wing for Danni to score.
In the second-half Sabres were looking the stronger team but due to some careless play and outstanding defence from Letchworth they were unable to score until a well-worked line-out move sent Sasha crashing over.
Sabres then scored again with Swaffham's Alex G going over in the corner following a storming run from just within the Letchworth 22 which saw her smash through a couple of tackles and fend off the covering full-back.
She touched down behind the posts to give Sasha an easy conversion. Sabres were 17-5 in front but Letchworth powered back up the pitch to score.
Swaffham RUFC run girls' rugby at U15 and U18 level and those under 12 are catered for in the mini section. Contact Ian Milligan on 07917 327389 or email@example.com