Richmond Park Golf Club’s Senior Open is a big success
- Credit: Archant
Richmond Park Golf Club's annual Senior Open and charity day was blessed with almost perfect conditions.
An impressive total of 48 players teed up for a day of friendly competition, good company, banter and food while supporting an excellent local charity — the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
The event was an 18 hole Better Ball Stableford competition for men of 55 years and over.
Players came from 19 different golf clubs over a wide geographical area.
With a prize pool of £300 there was plenty to play for and competitors reported a very enjoyable day and, predictably, mixed results on the golfing front.
You may also want to watch:
The winning pair qualifying for the main prize of two £50 vouchers were Geoff Beach and David Heighton from Middleton Hall Golf Club with 43 Stableford points, narrowly beating Bob Holmes and Steve Carr from Brett Vale.
Third prize went to Robin Hood and John Partridge from Stoke by Nayland.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 5 People without Covid symptoms urged to use new walk-in test site
- 6 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
- 7 Asda says redundancy 'last option' for bakery staff
- 8 Coronation Street star's surprise message to Norfolk care team
- 9 Rapid coronavirus testing site set for launch in Thetford
- 10 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
Winners of nearest the pin competitions were Paul Hanley from Bawburgh, Bob Holmes from Brett Vale, Kevin Locke from Mapperly and John Partridge from Stoke By Nayland.
The special Richmond Park Members' competition was won by Bill Luck and Keith Smith with a score of 39 points, narrowly beating last year's winners Jim Chapman and Brian Rees who scored 37 points, putting Trevor Bunce and Terry Lees to third place on countback.
Funds raised for East Anglian Air Ambulance came to a total of £380 from a prize raffle, sale of previously-owned clubs and cash donations.
All raffle prizes and golf clubs were donated by local businesses and Richmond Park Golf Club members.
A few days earlier the ladies of Richmond Park Golf Club played for The Windfall Trophy. This annual competition is played in the Stableford format and took place in perfect weather and with the course is magnificent condition.
After the golf all the ladies changed into their summer finery and enjoyed a buffet lunch before the prizes were presented.
This year the Windfall Trophy was won by Anne Bell with a score of 35 points.
For more information about Richmond Park Golf Club, just outside Watton, visit www.richmondpark.co.uk