Relegation worries increase for Swaffham Town
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Swaffham Town's relegation fears have deepened even further after another tough week which saw the Pedlars tot up their ninth loss on the bounce.
Matt Parking's and Scott Lumsden's team were beaten 6-1 at third-placed Godmanchester Rovers last Wednesday and then lost 4-2 to fourth-placed Felixstowe and Walton United at Shoemakers Lane on Saturday.
The continuance of their poor form has left Swaffham third from bottom in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division and four points from safety with four games to play.
Alex Vincent scored the goal of the match for an injury-hit Swaffham side at Godmanchester, not that it was much of a consolation in such a heavy loss.
Some great work by the 'Black and White Barrows' kept the game on following heavy rainfall in the week, and saw the Pedlars take the lead in the ninth minute when Vincent brought the ball down the left wing and whipped in a cross two yards from the touchline, which was turned into the net by a Felixstowe centre-back.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors equalised three minutes later and then took the lead in the 16th minute. Swaffham drew the score back in the 32nd minute when Vincent was brought down from behind. The striker then converted the penalty, driving the ball into the left hand bottom corner, for his 18th goal of the season.
Felixstowe reclaimed the lead in the 77th minute through a soft penalty when Dean 'Rocky' Mayes was adjudged to have brought down the attacker. The hosts were then caught on the counter in the 88th minute for Felixstowe to put the game to bed.
- 1 1,000-year-old church to hold fundraising concerts
- 2 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 3 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 4 Photos capture impressive storm clouds dominating Norfolk skyline
- 5 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 6 Stunning double rainbows follow thunderstorms
- 7 Opinion: Simple planning could help save money on Inheritance Tax
- 8 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Norfolk
- 9 More than 100,000 young people have had Covid jab in Norfolk and Waveney
- 10 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
This Saturday the Pedlars host Saffron Walden Town, who sit safely in 10th place in the table, knowing that they need a win if they are to avoid slipping straight back down to the First Division.
Swaffham Reserves play their penultimate league fixture away to leaders Mattishall Reserves in Division Three of the Almary Green Anglian Combination on Saturday, with kick-off at 4pm.
The under-18s play their last league game on Thursday evening at home to CSF Canaries.