Poor start to second half costs Swaffham Town the points
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town suffered a disappointing 3-1 home defeat at the hands of early Thurlow Nunn League Division One pacestters Woodbridge on Saturday.
After a goalless first half the Pedlars conceded three times in the space of eight minutes early in the second, with Tommy Hunt's reply no more than a consolation as a penalty kick went unconverted.
Clear opportunities were missed which could have seen the home side sitting pretty at half-time. However it was not to be, with honours even after 45 minutes.
The Pedlars let their standards drop in the first 15 minutes of the second half and the game was lost as a result.
Lapses in concentration, with the players leaving their guard down, allowed Woodbridge to quickly capitalise in the 50th and 52nd minutes, with the final nail in the coffin coming in the 57th.
You may also want to watch:
The three goal deficit was too big a deficit to peg back but the hosts were finally stunned into action and Hunt scored his first goal for the first team after being played through and slotting past the keeper in the 67th minute.
Alex Vincent was then denied from the penalty spot, his shot being saved just five minutes later. Ryan Pearson's shot from 12 yards later rattled the crossbar, with the luck against the Pedlars as vital points were dropped.
- 1 People 'driving across the county' to new Indian street food van
- 2 1,000-year-old church to hold fundraising concerts
- 3 Perfect tonic? Cottage which was Victorian apothecary for sale
- 4 New Covid variants may require jabs for children, UEA experts warn
- 5 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 6 Norfolk Day's Big Clean Up best kept community announced
- 7 Heavy rain and thunder set to continue with weather warnings in place
- 8 Once-extinct rare frog returns to its Norfolk home
- 9 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 10 'Vindicated at last' - Pension compensation on the horizon for WASPI women
They were hoping to address matters on Tuesday away to Norwich CBS before their opening FA Vase fixture on Saturday away to Stewarts and Lloyds of Corby.
A coach has been arranged for the trip and any potential travelling supporters should contact club secretary Ray Ewart on 07990 526744 to confirm spaces.
There was an excellent 2-1 win for Swaffham Reserves away to Earsham in Anglian Combination Division Three, Ben Champion and Diyan Andonov netting for the visitors.
This weekend they travel to Redgate Rangers who are currently unbeaten in their 2017 campaign.
There was a great point away from home for the Under-18s against A47 rivals Dereham Town in midweek. Sam Carter scored Swaffham's goal in an exciting game played in exactly the right spirit, a tribute to their respective clubs and management teams.