Pitch battle ahead
SPORT enthusiasts in Watton and Swaffham are being invited to take part in a competition aimed at improving local football pitches.Petrol lawn mower engine manufacturer Briggs & Stratton has launched the 'Pitch To Win' competition in conjunction with www.
SPORT enthusiasts in Watton and Swaffham are being invited to take part in a competition aimed at improving local football pitches.
Petrol lawn mower engine manufacturer Briggs & Stratton has launched the 'Pitch To Win' competition in conjunction with www.weekendwonders.co.uk, offering one lucky football team the opportunity to win a free pitch makeover worth up to �4,000.
Other prizes up for grabs for the winning team include a ride-on lawnmower worth �3,000 and a cheque for �1,000. The two runners-up will each bag themselves cash prizes of �1,000 and �500 for team expenses.
The competition is open to anyone involved with a non-professional under 18's football club. Entrants will be asked to explain why their pitch deserves a makeover, provide accompanying photographs and also information about their team.
Ian Small, business development manager for Briggs & Stratton, said: 'We have launched this competition because we wanted to give something back to the local community. Everyone knows how much sport plays an important part in young people's lives - it combines healthy competition, fun and fitness.
'We also want to highlight just how important football pitches are within the local community - a great one is not all about the hard work that goes into maintaining it but also about football teams enjoying the green space,' he added.
- 1 Two new play areas costing £72,000 open in town park
- 2 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 3 Woman in her 20s dies in A47 crash
- 4 Lakeside proposal gone wrong watched by millions on TikTok
- 5 Pupils design greeting card to welcome residents to new Swaffham estate
- 6 Man repeatedly kicked in the head by group during road rage attack
- 7 WEIRD NORFOLK: The Ghost Train of King's Lynn
- 8 Ben & Jerry's ice cream sold at Sainsbury's recalled due to health concerns
- 9 Teacher banned after 'inappropriate contact' with teenaged pupils
- 10 Gold Mercedes crashes through windows of Norfolk supermarket
A panel of judges, including groundsmen from two professional football clubs, will choose the winning pitches.
For more information on the competition and to enter visit www.pitchtowin.org.uk or call 01332 258335.
The competition will run until Friday, March 27.