Pedlars all set for big kick-off
Swaffham Town and their Thetford rivals are all set for the big Ridgeons League Division One kick-off on Saturday.Swaffham secretary Ray Ewart said: 'The Pedlars, under the leadership of Paul Hunt, have a squad containing both experience and youth together with promise for exciting ball-work at Shoemakers Lane.
Swaffham Town and their Thetford rivals are all set for the big Ridgeons League Division One kick-off on Saturday.
Swaffham secretary Ray Ewart said: 'The Pedlars, under the leadership of Paul Hunt, have a squad containing both experience and youth together with promise for exciting ball-work at Shoemakers Lane.
'Hunt's fitness regime and refreshing approach to training has brought forward confidence and comradery to build what we hope will be a solid squad of local talent back to Shoemakers Lane.'
Swaffham host Ipswich Wanderers, who if their website is to be believed, have themselves brought fresh blood to their team.
The season kicks off at 3pm, and the club offers a warm welcome to all to go along and cheer on the team. The Pedlars have fared well in their pre-season friendlies, with wins over Cromer, Horsford, and Ridgeons Premier side Ely City, but came second in an entertaining fixture at United Counties League Premiership new boys Peterborough Northern Star.
The club is always looking for volunteers to assist with the running of the ground and associated activities.
- 1 Plan B measures to be scrapped across England
- 2 Decision expected within weeks on 40 homes in village
- 3 'Man with a van' fined for dumping waste in village
- 4 Inquest into Banham Poultry deaths adjourned again amid manslaughter probe
- 5 Meet the couple who won holidays by the sea for a year
- 6 'We must learn to live with Covid' says health secretary on Plan B's end
- 7 Perfect close-up of 'Wolf Moon' captured in Norfolk by astrophotographer
- 8 Aldi chocolate and yoghurts containing metal among recent recalled products
- 9 Air ambulance called after three people seriously injured in A47 crash
- 10 People who test positive on lateral flows no longer need PCR
Anyone interested in supporting these roles or joining the committee, should contact club secretary Ray Ewart on 01760 724581.
Meanwhile, Thetford visit March (kick-off 3pm) then host Diss in a local derby on Tuesday night (7.45).
Thetford manager Mark Scott said he had a good squad assembled and was aiming for a top-six finish this season.
'We start away to March, one of the teams who did the double over us last season. I am pleased about that - it will be a measure of what we have achieved and I'm really looking forward to that one.'
New signings are striker Andrew Wood and central defender Ricky Cornish, both from Team Bury., and former Thetford players Dave Richards (central defence), and Danny Tanti (central midfield) plus Pat Armes, an attacking midfielder from Thetford Rovers.
Pre-season saw Thetford beaten 6-1 by a Newmarket side including Cambridge City and St Ives players, and a 6-0 win over a local forces team. They then lost 2-1 to Ridgeons Premier side Walsham and by the same scoreline to Ridgeons champions Needham Market with Dave Richards scoring a 22-yard screamer. 'I'm very pleased with those two games,' said Scott.