Pedlars all set for big kick-off
Swaffham Town and their Thetford rivals are all set for the big Ridgeons League Division One kick-off on Saturday.Swaffham secretary Ray Ewart said: 'The Pedlars, under the leadership of Paul Hunt, have a squad containing both experience and youth together with promise for exciting ball-work at Shoemakers Lane.
Swaffham Town and their Thetford rivals are all set for the big Ridgeons League Division One kick-off on Saturday.
Swaffham secretary Ray Ewart said: 'The Pedlars, under the leadership of Paul Hunt, have a squad containing both experience and youth together with promise for exciting ball-work at Shoemakers Lane.
'Hunt's fitness regime and refreshing approach to training has brought forward confidence and comradery to build what we hope will be a solid squad of local talent back to Shoemakers Lane.'
Swaffham host Ipswich Wanderers, who if their website is to be believed, have themselves brought fresh blood to their team.
You may also want to watch:
The season kicks off at 3pm, and the club offers a warm welcome to all to go along and cheer on the team. The Pedlars have fared well in their pre-season friendlies, with wins over Cromer, Horsford, and Ridgeons Premier side Ely City, but came second in an entertaining fixture at United Counties League Premiership new boys Peterborough Northern Star.
The club is always looking for volunteers to assist with the running of the ground and associated activities.
- 1 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 2 How Norfolk and Waveney MPs voted in coronavirus tiers vote
- 3 'Disgusting' - councillor slams culprits for defecating on footpaths and in front gardens
- 4 Foodbank storage space "at breaking point" as need rises by 50%
- 5 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 6 Town’s Christmas market cancelled as ‘too close to lockdown’
- 7 'Raring to go' - Businesses ready to reopen in time for Christmas rush
- 8 Shop Local: Council urge shoppers to use market towns this Christmas
- 9 Norfolk man jailed for part in raids to blow up cashpoints
- 10 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
Anyone interested in supporting these roles or joining the committee, should contact club secretary Ray Ewart on 01760 724581.
Meanwhile, Thetford visit March (kick-off 3pm) then host Diss in a local derby on Tuesday night (7.45).
Thetford manager Mark Scott said he had a good squad assembled and was aiming for a top-six finish this season.
'We start away to March, one of the teams who did the double over us last season. I am pleased about that - it will be a measure of what we have achieved and I'm really looking forward to that one.'
New signings are striker Andrew Wood and central defender Ricky Cornish, both from Team Bury., and former Thetford players Dave Richards (central defence), and Danny Tanti (central midfield) plus Pat Armes, an attacking midfielder from Thetford Rovers.
Pre-season saw Thetford beaten 6-1 by a Newmarket side including Cambridge City and St Ives players, and a 6-0 win over a local forces team. They then lost 2-1 to Ridgeons Premier side Walsham and by the same scoreline to Ridgeons champions Needham Market with Dave Richards scoring a 22-yard screamer. 'I'm very pleased with those two games,' said Scott.