Overseas player too strong for Saham
Saham Toney once again were undone by the opposition's overseas player on Saturday as they finished 10 runs short of victory against Fakenham.Having asked Fakenham to bat, the home side's scorecard was dominated by Keegan de Ridder's fine 137no.
Saham Toney once again were undone by the opposition's overseas player on Saturday as they finished 10 runs short of victory against Fakenham.
Having asked Fakenham to bat, the home side's scorecard was dominated by Keegan de Ridder's fine 137no. With only one more score above double figures Saham bowled much better than in previous weeks.
Ben Smart once more led the bowling attack, taking the first wicket and was well supported by Will Dyer. Both bowlers deserved more for their efforts.
Simon Pitkethly and Ian Lovick both contained well in the home side's quest for runs, picking up a wicket apiece.
You may also want to watch:
Still Saham couldn't dismiss de Ridder as he passed the hundred mark.
Simon Mower picked up two late wickets, but Fakenham finished their innings on 242-6.
- 1 Inquests into deaths at Banham Poultry adjourned for seventh time
- 2 Handyman from Watton died at home, inquest hears
- 3 Hotel 'nobody wants to buy' for sale as housing for £365,000
- 4 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 5 'Exceptional demand' as thousands in Norfolk seek coronavirus hardship fund help
- 6 Covid cases fall in every area of Norfolk for first time since June
- 7 'I didn't want to bother NHS' - Cancer scare mum urges others to seek help
- 8 Storm Christoph flood fears bring spike in sandbag sales
- 9 'Stay indoors' warning amid flooding fears for Norfolk roads
- 10 Is your surname on this list? You could inherit a fortune
Saham reply got off to a good start as they cruised to 78-1 inside the first 15 overs, despite losing Adi Wood early.
With Ben Smart and Matt Thomas looking set, Smart fell for 38 and two more wickets followed. Thomas was then joined by Mower and despite a stand of 90 the home side had bowled tightly and Saham started to fall behind the run rate. Saham were left requiring a hundred off the last 12 overs.
Thomas went for a well- constructed 68 and despite the late charge Saham fell 10 runs short with Mower finishing unbeaten on 69.
This week Saham welcome Swardeston to Pages Lane, 1pm.
Fakenham: B Whitwood c McGeorge b B Smart 8, C Crane c Sims b Pitkethly 30, K de Ridder not out 137, W Dunger c McGeorge b Lovick 4, A Stuart c Sims b Mower 10, S Piper b Mower 9, D Hubbard b B Smart 3, J Seed not out 5; extras 33. Total (6 wkts) 242. Bowling: B Smart 9-3-41-2, W Dyer 6-0-25-0, W Smart 4-0-30-0, S Pitkethly 11-3-45-1, I Lovick 11-0-62-1, S Mower 5-0-34-2.
Saham Toney: A Wood c Seed b Hood 6, B Smart c Dunger b King 38, M Thomas st Piper b de Ridder 68, A McGeorge lbw King 1, D Ellis b King 0, S Mower not out 69, D Sims c Piper b Stuart 9, S Pitkethly not out 10; extras 36. Total (6 wkts) 232. Bowling: A Stuart 9-0-54-1, Hood 4-1-31-1, A King 12-2-31-3, D Hubbard 10-0-43-0, K de Ridder 9-1-49-1, J Clark 2-0-11-0.