On-court battle for Watton
Watton Squash Club's second team travelled away to Division Two opponents Diss this week. Kevin Blake was comfortable, winning the first two 9-6, 9-6, before lack of concentration cost him the next 9-5.
Watton Squash Club's second team travelled away to Division Two opponents Diss this week.
Kevin Blake was comfortable, winning the first two 9-6, 9-6, before lack of concentration cost him the next 9-5. Kev then stepped up, taking the fourth 9-2 to come through 3-1.
Dev Mahatme started slowly but managed to nick the first 10-8. His opponent then faded badly with Dev taking the next two 9-0, 9-2 to win in straight games.
Standing in for the injured Chris Haythorpe, John Needham gave a great account on his Watton debut.
He lost the first 9-2, but levelled taking the second 9-7. He went behind losing the next 9-4 before rallying again to take the next 9-5 and force a decider. Unfortunately, John had nothing left, losing it 9-0 to go down 3-2.
Bobby Hunt, as usual, ran his socks off against a class opponent, losing the first 9-5 and a tight second 10-8. He took the next 9-4 with the fourth going to the wire before Bobby just edged out 10-9, to go down 3-1.
- 1 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 2 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 3 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 4 Hockey club plans fundraising tournament to save its pitch
- 5 TSB announce closure of its bank in Swaffham
- 6 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 7 Converted water tower home to appear on Grand Designs
- 8 Road closed after overhead powerlines go down
- 9 RAF Marham fighter pilot crashes £100m F-35 in Mediterranean Sea
- 10 Wind farm decision due in days
First-string Paul Goodchild went on with the match riding on his performance. He started strongly, taking the first 9-4. He led in the next but lost it 9-5 and the third 9-5. Paul made a great effort in the fourth but went down 9-7 to lose 3-1.
Although they won more individual games the overall result was a 15-10 Watton defeat.
Next up, Beccles away.