Mixed luck on court
MIXED fortunes this week for Watton's squash teams.Watton first team's poor run continued with a 18-7 home defeat to Division One rivals East Anglia III.
MIXED fortunes this week for Watton's squash teams.
Watton first team's poor run continued with a 18-7 home defeat to Division One rivals East Anglia III.
Vince Somers and Steve Rudd both just lost out 3-2 in close encounters. Ian Thompson salvaged something with a fine 3-1 win. Jonathan Pearson and first-string Simon Howling were both well beaten, going down 3-0 in straight games.
Division Three leaders Watton Two resumed with an away trip to Barnham Broom.
You may also want to watch:
Dev Mahatme made a quick start taking the first 9-6 and racing to a 5-0 lead in the next. Dev then lost concentration conceding it 9-6 but stepped up to take the next two 9-1, 9-1 to come through 3-1.
Kevin Blake was hardly troubled in a 9-1, 9-5, 9-5 straight game win. Chris Haythorpe had a marathon first game, saving game points before nicking it 10-8. His opponent never fully recovered with Chris taking the next two 9-7, 9-6 to win 3-0.
- 1 Five-acre allotment site to be sold after failed council land swap deal
- 2 UEA expert: Covid isolation 'will still be needed in a year's time'
- 3 Every Norfolk primary school rated as 'Outstanding'
- 4 Fresh weather warning with Storm Evert set to hit Norfolk
- 5 1,000-year-old church to hold fundraising concerts
- 6 Stretch of A11 closed due to 'large amount' of tyre debris on road
- 7 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 8 Stunning double rainbows follow thunderstorms
- 9 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 10 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
Bobby Hunt lost the first 9-0 before making a fight of it reaching 'game ball' first in the next two games. Somehow, his gutsy opponent managed to save game point about 20 times before taking both games 10-8, and then 10-9 with Bobby losing out 3-0.
First-string Paul Goodchild started slowly, losing the first two games 9-3, 9-6. Paul dug in to take the next 9-2 and had game ball in the next.
However, his talented opponent was smarting for revenge after his away defeat and seized the next few points to come through 10-8, with Paul going down 3-1 and losing his unbeaten run.
Overall, a 15-7 Watton victory.