Mixed fortunes for Saham Toney
SAHAM Toney had a mixed weekend by claiming a league winning draw against Stow before losing to Bradfield in the Lady Mary Trophy.Against Stow, Skipper S Mower lost the toss and the hosts were put into bat.
SAHAM Toney had a mixed weekend by claiming a league winning draw against Stow before losing to Bradfield in the Lady Mary Trophy.
Against Stow, Skipper S Mower lost the toss and the hosts were put into bat. Saham were 45-2 before an excellent partnership of 114 between A Wood (64) and D Fahy (73) got things on track.
M Wood (18 not out) and W Smart (24 not out) saw the innings through to a final score of 213-4.
This was probably 20-30 short of where Saham wanted to be but was a competitive total given the batting performance of the last two matches.
U Chandra was the most successful visiting bowler, claiming 2-46.
In response, Stow lost an early wicket and were soon struggling at 57-4. W Smart claimed two wickets and P Sims got the two big wickets of E Landemore and Chandra.
- 1 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 2 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
- 3 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 4 A47 reopens after man seriously injured in crash following police chase
- 5 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 6 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 7 'A wonderful achievement' - Carbrooke residents finally get community hub
- 8 Daughter's 100-mile charity pledge for father who died of cancer
- 9 Woman in 70s left with life-threatening injuries after crash near Swaffham
- 10 Female governor of Norfolk prison says job is 'easier than being a mum'
However, an excellent stand of 130 between Z Fountain (67) and K Thomson (75) put Stow on track to win.
W Smart, returning for his second spell, then dismissed both batsmen and with I Lovick to bowl the last over Stow required 13 for victory.
Lovick held his nerve and claimed two wickets with the first two balls as Stow finished on 202-8.
Smart finished with figures of 12-4-46-4, Lovick 11-1-32-2 and P Sims 8-0-44-2 in what was an excellent game of cricket.
Then on Sunday Saham visited Bradfield in the Lady Mary Trophy and lost by six wickets.
Batting first, Saham scored 220-6 of their 45 overs. Contributions came from the whole side with C Strickland (42), A Wood (39), S Mower (27 not out) and I Lovick top scoring with 64.
On an excellent batting track Bradfield made light work of reaching their target with N Grapes (41), J Grey (29), J Carter (37) and P Abbs top scoring 78 not out.
It was nice to see young Jordan Wood make his debut and he put in an excellent fielding display.
This week Saham host a Norfolk U13's match when Cambridgeshire are the opponents. The match is to be played tomorrow (Thursday), 1pm start, all welcome.