Milestones for Swaffham FC
This year marks two milestones in the history of Swaffham Town Football Club.Firstly, 2009 marks the 50th year at Shoemakers Lane - a period which has seen many seasons and changes with facilities, personnel, both playing and support staff.
This year marks two milestones in the history of Swaffham Town Football Club.
Firstly, 2009 marks the 50th year at Shoemakers Lane - a period which has seen many seasons and changes with facilities, personnel, both playing and support staff.
Secondly, it is the 25th anniversary of the annual Yorkshire Boys' visit to Swaffham for a friendly fixture and an opportunity to experience the town's atmosphere and social circuit.
The Pedlars hope to welcome them again this year, their visit anticipated around FA Cup Final day.
You may also want to watch:
Club secretary Ray Ewart said: 'We hope to make both events at the club special and will look to promote them closer to the time.
'Please relay this to anybody that has had any ties with the football club so that we can make these events a time to reminisce and remember.'
- 1 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 2 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 3 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 4 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 5 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
- 6 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 7 Pretty 17th century cottage linked to Lord Nelson for sale
- 8 Delays to thousands of bin collections across Breckland
- 9 7 places to avoid the crowds in Norfolk this summer
- 10 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
If anyone is interested they should contact Ray or Tich Ewart on 01760 724581.
The Pedlars' Tuesday home first team fixture against Gorleston was postponed due to the Greens' Norfolk Senior Cup commitments.
Saturday see the first team hosting Diss Town (3pm kick-off), the reserves are away to Beccles Town Reserves (2pm kick-off).
Meanwhile, the A-team are at home to Saham Toney Reserves in the Chequered Flag Primary League Cup semi final (2pm kick-off).
Ewart said: 'Weather and conditions permitting we hope to wish everybody a warm welcome to Shoemakers Lane to support the town's football team.'
Earlier in the season Swaffham needed some assistance to maintain their floodlights (see picture, above).
Ewart said: 'Our thanks to Keith Sirrell for his technical expertise, Gerry Palmer for his plant machine knowledge and Narford Scaffolding for the kind loan of the equipment.
'Without the support from our friends, committee and sponsors, we would not be able to compete at the level that ground standards require us to meet.'