McGeorge stars in comfortable victory for Saham Toney CC
- Credit: Matthew Usher
Saham Toney recorded a comfortable victory in Division Two of the Dipple & Conway Opticians Norfolk Alliance on Saturday.
Despite several first team players being absent, Saham won by seven wickets at Bungay, with Andrew McGeorge scoring an unbeaten 87.
Asked to bowl first, Dan Paterson's excellent reaction catch at point got Saham started as both Kristien Fletcher and Eube Huckle grabbed early wickets.
Stuart Lake rolled back the years using all his experience to control the middle overs, taking 2-27 off his 12 overs. Huckle returned to also record impressive figures of 4-29 off 11 as Saham restricted Bungay to 167-8, off their allotted 46 overs.
Saham had a new look batting order with regular Ben Smart and makeshift opener Kristien Fletcher looking to give them a positive start but Saham lost quick wickets.
This brought McGeorge to the crease. He and Smart then took control of the game with a 100-plus partnership.
Smart fell with only 20 required for an excellent 59. McGeorge continued his innings and made sure there was no way back for Bungay. He finished unbeaten on 87, supported by Xavier Huckle, to see Saham home with overs to spare.
- 1 Norfolk scams: Washing machine fraudsters and fake WhatsApp messages
- 2 Parts of Norfolk could see 60mph winds as Storm Barra hits
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 Virus expert predicts Omicron will start 'outcompeting' Delta
- 5 Outdoor nativity village with live animals at Norfolk church
- 6 TSB announce closure of its bank in Swaffham
- 7 Festive cheer returns to Watton streets at Christmas event
- 8 Where can I see Santa on his sleigh in Breckland this Christmas?
- 9 Converted water tower home to appear on Grand Designs
- 10 'My life has been plagued by fly-tipping for a year - I need it to stop'
This lifts Saham away from the bottom of the table and, still with five games left, an outside chance of still finishing in the promotion places. Saham entertain Downham Market at Pages Lane this Saturday.
• Swaffham CC slipped to a narrow defeat to bottom-of-the-table Dersingham in Division Three of the Dipple & Conway Norfolk Alliance.
Alexander Payne was the top scorer with 38 as Swaffham were all out for 158 in under 37 overs and then saw the home side reach 162 with just one wicket to spare, to claim their first win of the season.