Juniors battle it out at Swaffham GC
Swaffham Golf Club welcomed 23 hopeful young golfers to its annual Junior Open on Friday. The event each year is dedicated to the memory of Stewart Fretwell, a young Assistant Pro at Swaffham who tragically died some years ago.
Swaffham Golf Club welcomed 23 hopeful young golfers to its annual Junior Open on Friday.
The event each year is dedicated to the memory of Stewart Fretwell, a young Assistant Pro at Swaffham who tragically died some years ago. The trophy was donated by Stewart's family.
Youngsters from 11 golf clubs were represented, and the mixed field was a strong one - with low handicaps and low scores being in evidence on the day. The strong windy conditions presented a challenge to some, but all tried their best to achieve success.
Prizes were presented by club vice-chairman Mick Ward who welcomed the junior players and their accompanying adults to the club and he congratulated everyone on their achievements.
Results: Stewart Fretwell Trophy - Overall winner: Jack Brister (Bawburgh) Nett 67. Lowest Gross: Josh Bartlett (Barnham Broom) Gross 70. Handicap Division One (0-10 h'cap): Lewis Bates (Dereham) Nett 70. Division Two (11- 21): Alex Bates (Dereham) Nett 71. Division Three (22-28): Rob Ellis (Swaffham) Nett 71ocb.
Meanwhile, with the weather being kind, Swaffham Golf Club ladies and their guests enjoyed a memorable Invitation day.
- 1 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 By George! Woman digs up coin 'from reign of George I'
- 4 OPINION: The price of happiness and contentment
- 5 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 Norfolk Tory MP calls for 'serious changes' following Sue Gray report
- 8 Opinion: Creativity is required as prices rise
- 9 A47 reopens after man seriously injured in crash following police chase
- 10 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
The annual event is always a special date in the Swaffham calendar and 2010 Invitation Day lived up to its expectations.
The day was organised by ladies' secretary Ann Howarth, with Elma Shedden and Penny Murray helping on the day, all of whom did a superb job in making sure that all ran smoothly.
As usual, everyone was treated to a scrumptious halfway house, with home-baked cakes made by the club's ladies, and it proved difficult to prise some of the players away from the refreshment table, which was hosted for the day by ladies' president Beryl Hatton.
After the carvery meal, ladies' captain Ann Ewer presented the prizes: 1 Carole Hicks and Linda Field (Cromer) 54 pts, 2 Sue Ward and Jean Hill (Diss) 51, 3 Brenda Neill and Anne Payne (Eaton) 50, 4 Jan Kirman and Mo Roose (Sheringham) 49, 5 Sally Shepherd and Julie Hart (Weston Park) 48ocb, 6 Val Tufnell and Doreen Game (Ryston Park) 48. Straightest drive: Milly Ikin (member) Margaret Lintenbon (Guest), Nearest the pin: Jan Trollope (member) Jenny Ebbs (guest).