Jackson back on board as Pedlars claim an excellent away victory
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town maintained their fine recent form as they followed up a midweek draw at Ely with an excellent 2-0 win at sixth placed Stanway Rovers.
Saturday's game saw a welcome return to Swaffham for Joe Jackson, whose signing was completed as the registration window closed for the season.
Also joining the squad was Tom Kendrick, new to the area but familiar to centre back Danny Tindall.
An even first half, with both sides having opportunities, included the home side rattling the crossbar from 30 yards.
Swaffham's hard work finally paid off three minutes into the second period, Jackson playing in a low ball from the right hand side, Vincent getting a flick on to nutmeg the keeper and Nick Castellan making sure the ball crossed the line with a tap-in from a yard.
You may also want to watch:
Castellan made in two in the 59th minute, firing home from 12 yards across the box into the left hand corner. The Pedlars played the better football and thoroughly deserving the three points.
The previous Tuesday Swaffham picked up a point at Ely after losing keeper Dan Gentry in the warm-up. They drew 2-2, with the two best goals of the evening coming from Vincent and Ben Champion.
- 1 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 4 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 5 Number of coronavirus deaths passes 1,000 at Norfolk's hospitals
- 6 Discount hobby shop The Works 'could run out of money'
- 7 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 8 5 virtual games to play with family and friends over Zoom
- 9 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk
- 10 Flats could replace disused shop space in town centre
Champion played the ball through for Vincent to fire home from 18 yards across the keeper. Ely hit back before Vincent set up Champion a minute into the second half to fire the visitors back into the lead with a thumping shot from 16 yards. Ely equalised in the last minute – but it was still a decent result.
On Saturday Swaffham head back down the A12 for a game at Brantham Athletic, knowing a win could take them off the bottom of the table
Despite putting the Horsford goal under siege, Swaffham's second string were beaten 2-1, with Alan Woodcock getting the goal. On Saturday the Reserves are away to Gayton United.
The Under-18s dropped all three points in their title race, going down 2-1 to Fakenham Town at Clipbush Park, Matthew Blackford netting for the Pedlars. This Thursday they travel to the FDC at Bowthorpe to face Easton & Otley College.