Ian Sherwood is new chairman of Swaffham Town FC
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham councillor and former Town Mayor Ian Sherwood is new chairman of Swaffham Town Football Club.
Ian has agreed to take on the important role following Andy Farr's decision to stand down due to work commitments.
The committee approached Ian who spoke to a number of people involved with the club to seek their views prior to making the decision to take on the role.
He said: 'I was surprised to be approached but as a local to Swaffham and a supporter of the club for many years I can say I see this as an honour.
'I appreciate the hard work put in by so many people involved at all levels with Swaffham Town Football Club and as a supporter have always been very grateful for all the time and effort everyone involved with the club puts in.
You may also want to watch:
'As chairman I look forward to becoming part of what is clearly a hardworking and committed club. All of us who enjoy football and at non-league level in particular will know it can be a roller coaster of good and bad times and I'm sure there will be some challenges both on and off the pitch as we go forward.
'However while I fill the role of chairman I want all involved with the club to know they can come and speak to me at any time when you see me at Shoemakers Lane.
- 1 Household Cavalry to make Norfolk return
- 2 Couple reveal reason for closing 30-year-old firm
- 3 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 4 'Suspicious package' turns out to be hidden treasure chest
- 5 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 6 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 7 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 8 Election 2021: Norfolk and Suffolk council candidates published
- 9 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 10 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
'Whatever your role or involvement in the club, I need to know what you all think and feel, so do please come and talk to me, if you have anything at all to raise in relation to Swaffham Town.'
For those of you who don't know Ian, he has lived in the local area all of his life, and lived in Swaffham for over 16 years before moving to Sporle recently.
He works in Swaffham and also served on Swaffham Town Council for over 13 years and has been Town Mayor on two occasions. He has represented Swaffham as one of our Breckland District councillors for over 18 years. He is married to Julie and has a grown up daughter.
He is on Twitter and you can follow him at @CllrIanSherwood or email him at firstname.lastname@example.org
Brandon Town have started their Anglian Combination Division Two campaign with two home draws.
They shared the spoils with Mattishall Reserves (Callum Horn, Robbie Hunter, Luke King) after drawing 1-1 with East Harling. Town are at home again on Saturday, to Fakenham Reserves.