Disappointing end to a fine season for young Pedlars
- Credit: Archant
A superb season for Swaffham Town's Under-18 side ended on a disappointing note last Friday.
Having down superbly to reach the Thurlow Nunn Youth League play-off final the young Pedlars fell at the final hurdle when they were beaten 4-0 by their counterparts from AFC Sudbury.
In a well supported game at Diss Town Swaffham put in a fine display but were unable to turn the game around following first half nerves which contributed to them going in at the interval 3-0 down.
A disciplined AFC Sudbury side took the initiative in the first half with a goal after just 10 minutes.A second followed via the penalty spot on 36 minutes and the game was effectively put to bed with two minutes to go to half-time.
After the break the young Pedlars turned in a brave and enthusiastic display but could not overcome the Sudbury defence.
The Suffolk side, who were worthy winners, netted a fourth goal on the counter-attack four minutes into added time to complete their emphatic victory.
It was a tough evening for the Swaffham youngsters but they had shown plenty of promise over the course of the campaign to get this far.
- 1 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 2 By George! Woman digs up coin 'from reign of George I'
- 3 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 4 12 missing Norfolk people feature in new hi-tech campaign
- 5 All aboard for a 'street party atmosphere' at railway's jubilee events
- 6 OPINION: The price of happiness and contentment
- 7 A47 reopens after man seriously injured in crash following police chase
- 8 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 9 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 10 Norfolk Tory MP calls for 'serious changes' following Sue Gray report
After a well earned rest they will now be hoping to build on their achievements next season, and hopefully challenge for a place in the senior teams.
All the players and officials were grateful to the 75 plus supporters from the town who came along to back the team on their big night. The atmosphere was electric and added to a fantastic evening. The club were also grateful to hosts Diss Town FC for making everybody extremely welcome.
This weekend sees the Pedlars recognising the efforts and enthusiasm of the youth teams with a presentation afternoon at the club, ahead of watching the FA Cup Final between Arsenal and Chelsea.
Work has already started to prepare the Shoemakers Lane pitch and facilities ready for next season as we head into a busy period of county, league and club annual general meetings.
Barring any late reprieve Swaffham will be competing in Division of the Thurlow Nunn League after finishing bottom of the Premier Division last season.