AWAY to Hales A on Saturday Watton CC faced a young team with all bar the Hales stalwart Matthew Plummer (37) under the age of 19. Losing the toss Watton were asked to bat first under rolling clouds on a green wicket that did not fail to deliver the expected movement and invariable bounce.
AWAY to Hales A on Saturday Watton CC faced a young team with all bar the Hales stalwart Matthew Plummer (37) under the age of 19.
Losing the toss Watton were asked to bat first under rolling clouds on a green wicket that did not fail to deliver the expected movement and invariable bounce.
Although Messers Ransom and Norman scored quickly off some loose balls it was not long before the Hales pace attack (J Knights 4-49 and M Parkin 2-15) bowled the Watton club captain followed by the vice captain.
Hales' hope for a Watton collapse was destroyed by some gritty batting and excellent run taking by Bruno Norman and Robert Walsh who scored a classy 24.
After pushing the score past 100, a delay in finding the ball after a Bruno (6) caused a loss of concentration with the inevitable mistimed shot, which resulted in an easy catch to dismiss Bruno on a hard earned 57.
Walsh battled on as the next wicket fell quickly leaving Watton in a precarious position as the tailend started with Richard (Dicksy) Dicks. With a previous highest competitive league score of 24, Hales decided to show some generosity bowling short and wide allowing Dicksy to score 57 with six sixes and four fours before bringing back on J Knights to dispatch him with a swinging full delivery. By the time the 10th wicket had fell, Watton on 198 with honorary life president Roger Horne carrying his bat, Hales had no hope as they faced the pace of Paul Norman 4-13, and Tom Palmer 4-17, who were both in devastating form. Daniel Burrage also added to his first game tally with another two wickets, ending 2-15.
- 1 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 2 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 3 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 4 Female governor of Norfolk prison says job is 'easier than being a mum'
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Woman in 70s left with life-threatening injuries after crash near Swaffham
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Video footage appeal after car crashed into A47 central reservation
- 9 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
It was a valiant effort by such a young Hales team but they were totally outclassed.