Derby defeat extends losing run for Swaffham Town
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Swaffham Town's struggles continued with a 6-2 derby defeat at Thetford, extending their losing streak to six matches.
Thetford settled first on a heavy pitch with a difficult cross wind at Mundford Road, scoring in the 22nd minute through Ian Fancett and then Robbie Priddle doubling the score 14 minutes later.
The game was back on three minutes from the break when Alex Vincent was put through by Damian Skolorzynski, to bring the score back to 2-1 with a textbook finish, passing the ball across the keeper to net in the left-hand corner.
The home side came out from the break all guns blazing and scored their third goal four minutes into the new half through Fancett, who then scored a free-kick in the 60th minute, before Ryan Pearson made it 5-1 four minutes later.
Jack Defty got his name on the score-sheet for the Pedlars, heading home from six yards, Alex Vincent providing the accurate assisting cross in the 66th minute.
Thetford put their icing on the cake in the 77th minute, with Olly Standley making it 6-2 on the day.
The defeat left Swaffham in 14th place in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, with Thetford closing to within three places and five points.
- 1 Explained: What the cost of living support package means for you
- 2 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 3 By George! Woman digs up coin 'from reign of George I'
- 4 Serious road crash hotspots in Norfolk revealed as fatalities fall
- 5 OPINION: The price of happiness and contentment
- 6 Every household in the UK to get £400 to help with rising energy bills
- 7 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 8 Norfolk Tory MP calls for 'serious changes' following Sue Gray report
- 9 Opinion: Creativity is required as prices rise
- 10 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
There was similar fortune for Swaffham Reserves in Division Three of the Anglian Combination, with a 5-0 home defeat to Long Stratton Reserves. On Saturday the reserves are away to Freethorpe.
Swaffham Under-18s were casualties of the weather but hope to continue their good league form on Thursday, Horsford the visitors, kick-off 7.45pm.
On Sunday the veterans are away to North Walsham Town Old Boys in the Norfolk County Veterans League First Division.
• The Pedlars hosted Kirkley & Pakefield in the Premier Division last night and went down to a 3-0 loss. On Saturday they host Mildenhall Town, who are up to 10th after a 4-0 defeat of Thetford.