Derby defeat extends losing run for Swaffham Town
- Credit: Eddie Deane
Swaffham Town's struggles continued with a 6-2 derby defeat at Thetford, extending their losing streak to six matches.
Thetford settled first on a heavy pitch with a difficult cross wind at Mundford Road, scoring in the 22nd minute through Ian Fancett and then Robbie Priddle doubling the score 14 minutes later.
The game was back on three minutes from the break when Alex Vincent was put through by Damian Skolorzynski, to bring the score back to 2-1 with a textbook finish, passing the ball across the keeper to net in the left-hand corner.
The home side came out from the break all guns blazing and scored their third goal four minutes into the new half through Fancett, who then scored a free-kick in the 60th minute, before Ryan Pearson made it 5-1 four minutes later.
Jack Defty got his name on the score-sheet for the Pedlars, heading home from six yards, Alex Vincent providing the accurate assisting cross in the 66th minute.
You may also want to watch:
Thetford put their icing on the cake in the 77th minute, with Olly Standley making it 6-2 on the day.
The defeat left Swaffham in 14th place in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division, with Thetford closing to within three places and five points.
- 1 'Don't mix, shop online' - People urged to go beyond lockdown rules
- 2 'I didn't want to bother NHS' - Cancer scare mum urges others to seek help
- 3 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 4 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 5 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 6 Risk of flooding after parts of Norfolk see 8cm of snow
- 7 In pictures: Children make the most of weekend snow
- 8 Woman faces trial for causing deaths of Norfolk couple
- 9 Man charged with drink-driving on the A11
- 10 Broadband firm pledges 'Herculean effort' in hyperfast roll-out
There was similar fortune for Swaffham Reserves in Division Three of the Anglian Combination, with a 5-0 home defeat to Long Stratton Reserves. On Saturday the reserves are away to Freethorpe.
Swaffham Under-18s were casualties of the weather but hope to continue their good league form on Thursday, Horsford the visitors, kick-off 7.45pm.
On Sunday the veterans are away to North Walsham Town Old Boys in the Norfolk County Veterans League First Division.
• The Pedlars hosted Kirkley & Pakefield in the Premier Division last night and went down to a 3-0 loss. On Saturday they host Mildenhall Town, who are up to 10th after a 4-0 defeat of Thetford.