Brave Pedlars lose out to wicked deflection as Wanderers take points
- Credit: Archant
Swaffham Town were unlucky to go down to a 1-0 defeat at Ipswich Wanderers in the Thurlow Nunn Premier Division.
Early fitness scares before the game required Danny Tindall to have a pre-match fitness test, which he passed only for Nick Castellen to pick up a knee injury in the 18th minute.
Castellan's injury gave Tommy Hunt the opportunity to present his skills earlier than anticipated. Mikey Thompson's return to the team added more strength and experience to the midfield and his presence was clearly apparent.
The Pedlars started strongly and had early opportunities pressing Wanderers but the threat never quite reached a successful finish. Ipswich came back into the game, rattling the cross-bar twice and forcing Dan Gentry to make a great save from a one on one.
The breakthrough came in the 73rd minute, Gentry was beaten by a wicked deflection as the ball clipped Toby Millward's calf resulting in the ball sneaking in at the near post.
You may also want to watch:
Thompson came close in the final minute, shooting from the edge of the box, forcing a fine save from the Wanderers keeper to push over the bar.
Swaffham endured a midweek exit from the League Challenge Cup to a strong Gorleston side as Jack Defty and Alex Vincent got the consolation goals in a 6-2 defeat.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 4 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 5 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 6 Game of Thrones and The Crown actor to star in Norfolk play
- 7 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 8 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 9 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 10 Police chief urges people to be sensible this Halloween
Swaffham were in league action on Tuesday night at home to Saffron Walden after the newspaper had gone to press.
The reserves enjoyed another great win on Saturday, against Freethorpe. Goals from Robson Pack, Harry Porter, Callum Robinson, Mark Smith and an own goal contributing to the 5-1 victory.
As with the first Team, the reserves do not have a fixture on Saturday. The club will however be open as usual for business from 1pm.
The Under 18s resumed their fixtures following the January break with a convincing 6-1 victory over Horsford. Goals from Korben Willis, Matthew Blackford, Jack Prentice (2) and Jake Slender (2). The victory saw Swaffham retain their second place in the league.
On Wednesday evening they are away to bottom place Lakeford Rangers.
Finally the Veterans are away to Cringleford Veterans Old Boys this Sunday.