Barnes goals aid Mundford win
MUNDFORD produced a top-class performance to thrash basement boys Swaffham Town Reserves.The 6-0 win inches them ever closer to promotion from Division Three, with the next crucial game on Saturday at Thorpe Rovers.
MUNDFORD produced a top-class performance to thrash basement boys Swaffham Town Reserves.
The 6-0 win inches them ever closer to promotion from Division Three, with the next crucial game on Saturday at Thorpe Rovers.
After the previous week's encouraging win against a strong Sprowston Athletic, Mundford actually started this game relatively poorly with Swaffham forcing some early pressure through a number of set-pieces.
With little happening it was Barnes who sparked the game into life after around 20 minutes, cutting in on his right foot and striking from 20 yards, giving the keeper no chance.
You may also want to watch:
This was soon followed by the second goal for Mundford. Another good corner delivered by Danny Martin and after the initial challenge, it fell to Ramage, who lobbed a header into the top corner.
The two-goal lead gave Mundford the platform to dominate the game and, as opposed to recent games against Aylsham and Loddon Reserves, the team went from strength to strength, playing some superb passing football and creating a number of half chances in the remainder of first half.
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 3 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 4 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea
- 5 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 6 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 7 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 8 Pony hire business to offer circus shows in your garden
- 9 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 10 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
At this point Swaffham were offering little threat, to leave Mundford 2-0 up at the interval.
The game was effectively killed off early in the second half when Neil Groves won the ball on the halfway line, feeding Barnes.
His turn and inch-perfect chip was met sweetly first time on the volley by Groves, who had continued his run from the halfway line and the volley dipped nicely and nestled in the top corner, for the goal of the day.
A second for Groves, and his fourth in three games soon followed, dinking the ball over the keeper after being set clear by Ramage.
Not to be outdone, Barnes soon added his second, cutting in from the left before burying his shot in the corner.
Mundford continued to fashion a number of chances and could have had more goals, in truth.
Barnes eventually completed his hat-trick with a tap in after being unselfishly set up by his strike partner Burton.
A fine performance from the team and the title is very much Mundford's to throw away.
However there is still a way to go, with it likely that two wins and a draw in the remaining games would be enough to secure promotion and four wins enough to secure the championship.
Final scoreMundford 6, Swaffham Town Reserves 0.