Alex Payne guides Swaffham CC to dramatic one-wicket victory
- Credit: Archant
Another century from Ian Bryce was not enough as Hethersett and Tas Valley lost a tight match against Swaffham in Division Two of the Norfolk Alliance.
The Valley opener, who recorded four tons for the club in May, added another to his collection on Saturday, with a 102 featuring 12 fours and six sixes helping the home side reach a competitive total of 235.
But unfortunately for Bryce Swaffham also had an in-form batsman in their ranks, with Alex Payne cracking an unbeaten 125 (15 fours and seven sixes) to steer the visitors to a dramatic victory with just one wicket in hand.
Jasper Payne had earlier weighed in with 47 for Swaffham, who appeared to be cruising to victory before a late collapse saw six batsmen dismissed for just nine runs between them.
They went from 190-2 to 214-9 but fortunately for Swaffham last man Jack Coggles kept Payne company until the end, despite not scoring a run.
You may also want to watch:
Alex Vincent had earlier taken 5-33 to help restrict Hethersett and Tas Valley's total to manageable proportions.
Swaffham are away to Great Witchingham A on Saturday (1pm).
- 1 Sacked police officer admits child porn charges
- 2 Council splashes out £780,000 on agile working
- 3 Man in 30s charged with Shipdham murder
- 4 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 5 'Truly sorry' glamping owner apologises after negative reviews
- 6 Vast farm network aims to be a trailblazer for wildlife
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Popular support services for the elderly in jeopardy
- 9 Teens aged 16-17 years old will be allowed vaccine before new school term
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village