Alex Payne guides Swaffham CC to dramatic one-wicket victory
- Credit: Archant
Another century from Ian Bryce was not enough as Hethersett and Tas Valley lost a tight match against Swaffham in Division Two of the Norfolk Alliance.
The Valley opener, who recorded four tons for the club in May, added another to his collection on Saturday, with a 102 featuring 12 fours and six sixes helping the home side reach a competitive total of 235.
But unfortunately for Bryce Swaffham also had an in-form batsman in their ranks, with Alex Payne cracking an unbeaten 125 (15 fours and seven sixes) to steer the visitors to a dramatic victory with just one wicket in hand.
Jasper Payne had earlier weighed in with 47 for Swaffham, who appeared to be cruising to victory before a late collapse saw six batsmen dismissed for just nine runs between them.
They went from 190-2 to 214-9 but fortunately for Swaffham last man Jack Coggles kept Payne company until the end, despite not scoring a run.
Alex Vincent had earlier taken 5-33 to help restrict Hethersett and Tas Valley's total to manageable proportions.
Swaffham are away to Great Witchingham A on Saturday (1pm).
- 1 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 2 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 3 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 4 Hockey club plans fundraising tournament to save its pitch
- 5 Converted water tower home to appear on Grand Designs
- 6 RAF Marham fighter pilot crashes £100m F-35 in Mediterranean Sea
- 7 Road closed after overhead powerlines go down
- 8 Revealed: The area of Norfolk where homes are at higher risk of flooding
- 9 What do Amazon's credit card changes mean for you?
- 10 Wind farm decision due in days