Alex Payne guides Swaffham CC to dramatic one-wicket victory
- Credit: Archant
Another century from Ian Bryce was not enough as Hethersett and Tas Valley lost a tight match against Swaffham in Division Two of the Norfolk Alliance.
The Valley opener, who recorded four tons for the club in May, added another to his collection on Saturday, with a 102 featuring 12 fours and six sixes helping the home side reach a competitive total of 235.
But unfortunately for Bryce Swaffham also had an in-form batsman in their ranks, with Alex Payne cracking an unbeaten 125 (15 fours and seven sixes) to steer the visitors to a dramatic victory with just one wicket in hand.
Jasper Payne had earlier weighed in with 47 for Swaffham, who appeared to be cruising to victory before a late collapse saw six batsmen dismissed for just nine runs between them.
They went from 190-2 to 214-9 but fortunately for Swaffham last man Jack Coggles kept Payne company until the end, despite not scoring a run.
You may also want to watch:
Alex Vincent had earlier taken 5-33 to help restrict Hethersett and Tas Valley's total to manageable proportions.
Swaffham are away to Great Witchingham A on Saturday (1pm).
- 1 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 4 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 5 Number of coronavirus deaths passes 1,000 at Norfolk's hospitals
- 6 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 7 Discount hobby shop The Works 'could run out of money'
- 8 5 virtual games to play with family and friends over Zoom
- 9 Flats could replace disused shop space in town centre
- 10 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk