Years of village fundraising rewarded
NECTON is gearing up for its new-look village community centre which is scheduled to open in June.Years of tireless fundraising plus grant help from the parish council have allowed work to start on toilets for the disabled, baby changing facilities, a meeting room, improvements to emergency exits and re-roofing.
NECTON is gearing up for its new-look village community centre which is scheduled to open in June.
Years of tireless fundraising plus grant help from the parish council have allowed work to start on toilets for the disabled, baby changing facilities, a meeting room, improvements to emergency exits and re-roofing.
The hall first opened in 1961 and has since been used extensively by clubs, groups and for village functions but with the constant growth of the village an extension and improvements were desperately needed.
Despite having applications for help from the Lottery Fund and other grants turned down, the management team did not give up their dream and over the past few years have worked hard to raise funds.
They have put on bingo, quizzes, concerts, gardening competitions, raffles and numerous other functions to raise funds and have successfully raised enough to begin building work on the extension.
A donation from the parish council helped to pay for a new kitchen and again provided much- needed funds, with £6,000 in March from their reserves and another £3,000 precept grant this month.
- 1 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 2 Woman set for crucial surgery after £20,000 target reached
- 3 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
- 4 Woman in 70s left with life-threatening injuries after crash near Swaffham
- 5 Video footage appeal after car crashed into A47 central reservation
- 6 Care home burglar recalled to prison over racist assault
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Female governor of Norfolk prison says job is 'easier than being a mum'
- 9 Beer from Lidl and vegan chocolates among items recalled over safety fears
- 10 Long delays after person cut out of car on A1065
Builders are working on the site but much of the internal work will be done by volunteers from the village. The fundraising continues to pay for further enhancements.
The work should be finished ready for reopening in June. Meanwhile, all events are continuing but using other venues.
Anyone who would like to help with either time or money,can contact the treasurer, Bernard Bell, on 01760 441228.