'Work with us on crime fight' - police
Police have urged councillors in Watton to work with them in a bid to crack down on rowdy behaviour following an increase in crime.Inspector Ady Porter said officers dealt with 19 incidents of antisocial behaviour in town in the last month.
Police have urged councillors in Watton to work with them in a bid to crack down on rowdy behaviour following an increase in crime.
Inspector Ady Porter said officers dealt with 19 incidents of antisocial behaviour in town in the last month.
Speaking at the town council meeting, he blamed the increase on the closure of the town's youth club whose aim was to take youngsters off the streets.
A row erupted following the news and councillors insisted they had not been made aware of the closure.
You may also want to watch:
“The council lets out the youth centre free of charge to Norfolk County Youth Services who run a youth club there every Monday evening,” said Jacqui Seal, town clerk.
“As we do not invoice them, we do not keep any tabs on their activities. However, it would have been helpful if they had told us they were going to close the youth club, so we could let the property to someone else,” she added.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 5 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 6 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 7 National Living Wage workers to receive pay rise next year
- 8 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 9 Soil testing firm to create 45 new jobs in Norfolk
- 10 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
A spokesman for Norfolk County Council said Watton Youth Club had been closed temporarily after a youth worker went to a new role elsewhere in the county. The council hoped to appoint a replacement in the very near future and, once this happened, it would look to reopen the club.