Norfolk hotel to reopen after £1m investment
- Credit: Archant
A hotel that has been empty for almost a year has been given a new lease of life after a £1m investment.
The Hare and Barrel, on Brandon Road, Watton, was a bar, restaurant and hotel before it closed at the end of last year.
Plans had been lodged with Breckland Council by the new owners to turn it into a private specialist centre for addiction but after it was refused and the second plan withdrawn after public objection, Verve Hotels has invested the large sum to reopen as a hotel.
The guest house will have 19 rooms with a mix of luxury, double and single rooms which can host 38 guests. A new bar and kitchen has been fitted which will serve food in the restored restaurant area.
Verve Hotels have locations in Diss, Peterborough, Bedford and Stilton. Area manager Debbie Wright is hoping that the new Watton hotel will bring people into the town.
You may also want to watch:
She said: "With the rehab application there was a lot of public discussion, some good and some bad, but we made the decision to withdraw it and seeing some of the comments there were a lot of people asking for the hotel to come back, so we are giving Watton what it wants.
"We hope that people will come into the town to use the restaurant or stay in the hotel and experience what Watton has on offer."
- 1 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock
- 2 Yellow weather warning for snow in place across region
- 3 Can you rehome this Terrier who has spent nine years at animal sanctuary?
- 4 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 5 Number of coronavirus deaths passes 1,000 at Norfolk's hospitals
- 6 Discount hobby shop The Works 'could run out of money'
- 7 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 8 Fresh snow falls as weather warning continues for Norfolk and Suffolk
- 9 5 virtual games to play with family and friends over Zoom
- 10 Councillor accused of 'squirming' over environmental centre finances
The hotel brand had originally hoped to spend less but as more work was completed on the building the project went £250,000 over budget.
Ms Wright is also the manager at the Diss hotel.
"We try to make sure that each hotel has that something special that makes it stand out from the others," she added.
"The hotel is right at the top of the High Street in a good location so hopefully people will come and explore Watton.
"I think the residents will be very happy with the work we have done."
The hotel is set to open on Friday, June 28, with a special launch night.
For more information go to www.vervehotels.co.uk.