Long-awaited return of town post office postponed on first day
- Credit: Archant
The long-awaited reopening of a town's post office has been postponed on the day of its expected return.
Watton's post office closed its doors on May 31 last year, and was officially reopened by mayor Tina Kidell and MP George Freeman on Friday, February 15.
However on its planned first day in business 'telecommunication issues' have stalled the operation.
A Post Office spokesman said: 'We know how much the community is looking forward to a full-time Post Office service being restored to Watton.
'Unfortunately, due to a telecommunications issue we will not be able to re-open the branch as planned today.
You may also want to watch:
'We apologise for any inconvenience and disappointment caused by the delayed opening, and we would like to reassure customers that we are working hard with our suppliers and their engineers to open this branch as quickly as possible.
'As a contingency plan the mobile Post Office will continue to operate from Watton Library car park on a Thursday afternoon from 1.30-3.30pm until the Post Office can open.'
- 1 'Don't mix, shop online' - People urged to go beyond lockdown rules
- 2 'I didn't want to bother NHS' - Cancer scare mum urges others to seek help
- 3 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 6 Risk of flooding after parts of Norfolk see 8cm of snow
- 7 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 8 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 Man charged with drink-driving on the A11
- 10 Woman faces trial for causing deaths of Norfolk couple