Barbecue lovers warned of ‘absolute stupidity to use an open flame in forest’
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Barbecue lovers have been warned of the “absolute stupidity” of lighting fires in Thetford Forest during the summer heatwave.
All barbecues - including eight for hire at High Lodge - have been banned at the ancient woodland, as temperatures are set to remain at above 30C for days.
The Forestry Commission, which runs the site, has warned: “There is a high risk of forest fires.”
That is not only because of the heat, but because the grass has become more overgrown during the Covid-19 lockdown.
However, people have continued to bring disposable barbecues despite bans in the past – prompting fears people might continue to put 19,000 hectares of trees at risk.
You may also want to watch:
Dave Goodrum, secretary of the Friends of Thetford Forest, said forest managers “can’t check every vehicle going in” for prohibited equipment.
However, he said: “It is absolute stupidity to use an open flame in a forest environment.
- 1 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 2 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 3 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 4 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 5 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 6 Natalie Imbruglia announced for major new festival at Norfolk estate
- 7 Norfolk scams: DVLA texts and family WhatsApp messages
- 8 Air ambulance making big difference since start of 24/7 service
- 9 People urged to share their views on the future of Breckland towns
- 10 9 of the best Christmas markets running in Norfolk in 2021
“The grass is longer at the moment, because people haven’t been trampling all over it during lockdown and it is more overgrown than it normally would be.
“I would certainly reiterate the Forestry Commission’s stance to not use barbecues.”
Mr Goodrum also warned that the vast nature of the forest means it is not always easy for firefighters to access fires.
“It’s not like rolling up to someone’s house,” he said.
“It might take 30mins to get to the fire.”
His warning comes after a huge fire, started by a glass bottle left in sunlight, destroyed 14,000sq m of the forest and took several days to extinguish.
He said incidents like that one are often “down to people’s carelessness”, adding: “We would encourage people to take their litter home.
“If you’ve brought it with you, you’re perfectly capable of taking it home. Don’t leave it behind.”
Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service area commander Ken Williamson has also warned that accidental fires are a risk during warmer weather.
“The increasingly dry conditions make crops, grass, trees and undergrowth particularly vulnerable to fire,” he said.
“In the past we have seen acres of land destroyed because someone has flicked away their cigarette or not properly extinguished their disposable barbecue.
“We are asking people to be aware of these dangers and respect their surroundings.”