Thetford claim comfortable win over league’s bottom side
- Credit: Archant
Thetford produced a dominant performance against struggling Beccles to maintain their promotion challenge in Division One of the Norfolk Alliance.
They are joint third in the table after cruising home by seven wickets in a match that was reduced to 35 overs per side because of rain.
The division's bottom team were asked to bat first after losing the toss and could only get up to 134-8 as Craig Baulch and Chris Cooper took 2-10 and 2-11 respectively in tight spells while Joe Hills claimed figures of 3-43 while going at around seven an over.
Openers Ryan Conroy (32) and Greg Mann (25) put on 50 and although Thetford then lost three quick wickets they still won comfortably as Neil Lockwood (34 not out) and Andrew Kerling (28 not out) put on an unbeaten 64 for the fourth wicket.
Swaffham are joint fifth in the able following a heavy defeat against an improving Topcroft side, who made 283-4 after being asked to bat first. Harry Windridge made 82, Connor Green 64 and Ian Todd 40 not out while the hosts didn't help themselves by conceding 49 extras.
You may also want to watch:
In reply Alex Payne (48) and Joe Lenderyou (26) got their side off to a promising start but a required run rate of nearly six and over took its toll and they were dismissed for 154 in the 39th over.
Thetford A missed a chance to move back to the top of Division Six when they were edged out by five runs in an exciting game at Bradenham A.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 5 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 6 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 7 Covid vaccine rollout shifts dramatically in favour of second doses
- 8 Rapid coronavirus testing site set for launch in Thetford
- 9 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
- 10 People without Covid symptoms urged to use new walk-in test site
Chasing 182 in a 35 over fixture the visitors finished on 177-4, with Darren Newey unbeaten on 52.
On Saturday Thetford travel to Topcroft, Swaffham visit Sprowston and Thetford seconds are without a game.