Thetford closing in on top two in Norfolk Alliance Division One after excellent win
- Credit: Archant
Thetford moved to within two points of the Norfolk Alliance Division One promotion zone after recording an emphatic win at Topcroft on Saturday.
While the top two of Old Buckenham and Lowestoft were both losing their games, Thetford turned in a dominant performance to win their fixture by eight wickets.
After winning the toss skipper Ryan Conroy asked Topcroft to bat first and despite a fine knock of 80 from Harry Windridge they could only reach 165 before being dismissed off the penultimate ball of their 50 overs.
Lewis Greyson led the way with figures of 4-24 while Neil Lockwood weighed in with 3-23.
Thetford could hardly have got off to a worse start in reply, with Ryan Conroy going for a first ball duck, but two big partnerships then saw them through to victory.
You may also want to watch:
Liam Conroy, who carried his bat for an unbeaten 56, put on 103 for the second wicket with Chris Cooper (64) and then an unbroken 58 with Lockwood (38 not out) for the second as victory was achieved in 33 overs.
In the same section Swaffham lost a competitive game at Sprowston by 27 runs.
- 1 Unique Norfolk tower wins national architecture award
- 2 People urged to share their views on the future of Breckland towns
- 3 Revealed: The most expensive towns to buy a home in Norfolk
- 4 Woman left 'penniless' while waiting five weeks for first pension payment
- 5 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 6 Man pulled teen from car and held knife to his throat in attack
- 7 Motorcyclist in critical condition following A134 crash
- 8 Former army officer resigns as councillor for 'personal reasons'
- 9 Fly-tipping couple fined £400 for dumping mattress
- 10 Roads to close in Swaffham for Christmas market weekend
Knocks of 79 from Rob Purton and 57 from Sam Hales helped the home side up to a solid 199 as Jasper Payne took 4-38.
In reply Mark Eagle scored 44 and Joe Lenderyou 35 but with Purton completing an excellent match with figures of 4-13 Swaffham were bowled out for 172.
There's a big derby match on Saturday, with Thetford welcoming Swaffham to Mundford Road.
Thetford A return to action in Division Six after a weekend off with a trip to Mattishall A.