Thatch fire in Great Hockham
Compressed air foam, hose reel jets and breathing apparatus were all used as fire fighters battled a thatch fire at a house in Great Hockham last night.
Swift action by fire fighters and neighbours helped save an eighteenth century thatched cottage from complete destruction last night.
Six fire crews were called to a blaze at a house on The Street, Great Hockham, just before 11pm after the owners smelt smoke.
Neighbours reacted quickly to a call for help with one man getting on the roof of the house with a hose pipe to douse the thatch almost immediately.
Fire fighters arrived minutes later and used compressed air foam, hose reel jets and breathing apparatus to tackle the fire. They also removed a large amount of straw from the roof the create fire break.
The cottage structure and a large portion of the roof were saved in the operation and plastic sheeting has now been secured over much of the roof.
Today owner James Bisgood was assessing the damage.
- 1 'Some haven't had a cut since Covid' - hairdresser on growing challenges
- 2 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 3 Share of £120,000 cash pot on offer to Breckland groups
- 4 Female governor of Norfolk prison says job is 'easier than being a mum'
- 5 Can you answer these 10 GCSE questions designed for 16-year-olds?
- 6 Woman in 70s left with life-threatening injuries after crash near Swaffham
- 7 Readers reveal top 10 fish and chips - but the battle is on for top spot
- 8 Video footage appeal after car crashed into A47 central reservation
- 9 Former military man appointed as council's new chairman
- 10 Iceland offers over 60s discount on shopping bill every week
He said: 'It was caused by a spark from a wood burning stove.
'The fire brigade were here incredibly quickly and neighbours helped.
'We could have lost the whole cottage. We could have been left with just the chimney stack.'