Tesco on track to open latest store in Swaffham
- Credit: Archant
A town's new supermarket is on course to open next month after the developers completed the building work.
Millngate, the developer of the new Tesco store on Castle Acre Road, Swaffham, officially handed over the keys to the supermarket chain last week.
The occasion was marked with a ceremony attended by Swaffham dignitaries including Anne Thorp, the mayor of Swaffham, deputy mayor Shirley Matthews and Paul Claussen, chairman of Breckland Council.
Mrs Thorp unveiled a plaque to commemorate the event.
Tony Sweeney, managing director of Millngate, said: 'This is a very important day for Swaffham in the delivery of a Tesco store which so many members of the local community campaigned for.
You may also want to watch:
'I'm particularly delighted to welcome the mayor of Swaffham and to thank her and the town council for their support from the very start of this project going back to the first public consultation.'
The store is set to sell predominantly food with a limited range of non-food products such as clothes, newspapers and magazines.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 4 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 5 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 6 Game of Thrones and The Crown actor to star in Norfolk play
- 7 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 8 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 9 Police chief urges people to be sensible this Halloween
- 10 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
Mrs Thorp said: 'I am pleased to officially hand over the keys from Millngate to Tesco for this new store.
'It is great to see the development start to breathe life into an area that has stayed dormant for so long.'