Town sets up emergency centre in pub to help during lockdown
- Credit: Archant
The community of Swaffham is coming together to help the vulnerable get through the coronavirus outbreak.
Swaffham Emergency Response Centre has been set up by The White Hart Pub with help from Swaffham Town Council and Iceni Partnership to help its residents through these uncertain times.
The service, which is being run out of the town’s pub, is delivering care packages, shopping for the vulnerable and those self isolation and collection prescriptions.
The group have also set up a community fridge outside the pub, which offers fresh produce for those who may not be in a position to pay for food.
Supermarkets around the town, businesses and members of the public have all been donating leftover food to give to those less fortunate.
Brendan Holmes, one of the Swaffham town councillors involved in the initiative, said: “The main thing we want to do is help people in the town, we have already handed out 3,000 leaflets and are trying to get to as many people as possible.
“Services are stretched at the moment, but it has been great to see everybody come together when times get tough.
- 1 Waste carrier fined £1,900 after metal and containers found in woodland
- 2 All under 40s to be offered Covid booster jab
- 3 Row erupts after dozens of trees aligning footpath chopped down
- 4 Hockey club plans fundraising tournament to save its pitch
- 5 Converted water tower home to appear on Grand Designs
- 6 Waitrose and Halfords recall items over health and safety concerns
- 7 Road closed after overhead powerlines go down
- 8 RAF Marham fighter pilot crashes £100m F-35 in Mediterranean Sea
- 9 Wind farm decision due in days
- 10 Revealed: The area of Norfolk where homes are at higher risk of flooding
“I knew we had a massive community spirit in Swaffham, but this just shows how willing people are to help each other.”
The group has dozens of volunteers already signed up to help with deliveries from Voluntary Norfolk and the NHS Volunteer Responders scheme.
Mr Holmes said: “These times are causing hardship and misery for many across our community.
“From the elderly and isolated to young families and previously financially stable people, everyone needs some help from time to time and we know it can be difficult to ask.
“If you or someone you know is in need of a little help then please message us directly and we will do what we can to help.
“All messages are treated in the strictest confidence so please do not suffer in silence.
If you would like to volunteer or get some more information about how you could help, please call 01603 981493 or send the Swaffham Emergency Response Centre a message on Facebook.How to get help from Swaffham Emergency Response Centre
• Phone number for shopping: 01603 981493
• Care packages: 01760 724295 or 01603 981493
• Prescription/medication collection and delivery from Iceni Swaffham (9am-3pm): 01760 722800 / firstname.lastname@example.org
• Outside of these hours please call: 01760 724295 / 01603 981493