Housing development will salute town’s history thanks to school pupil
- Credit: Archant
A school pupil has won a competition to name a new housing development after Swaffham's most famous folklore character.
Faith Askew-Petten, who attends Swaffham Junior School, has been chosen by Persimmon Homes as winner of its competition to name the company's 165-home development.
The 10-year-old suggested the name 'Pedlars Meadow', a nod to the legendary Swaffham Pedlar who adorns the town sign.
Michelle Baker, sales director for Persimmon Homes Anglia, said: "We love to work alongside communities, so we were thrilled when Swaffham Junior School helped name our new site.
"Faith's name was absolutely perfect for this site, inspired by the legend of the Swaffham Pedlar who, following a dream, found buried treasure in his garden and used it to help the town's church and community.
You may also want to watch:
Nicola Kaye, headteacher at Swaffham Junior School, added: "The children had great fun in thinking up names and it will be very rewarding to know they have played their part in the history of Swaffham."
- 1 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
- 2 Motoring giant pledges more than 600 brand new laptops to appeal
- 3 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 4 Wind farm engineers to drill below cliffs and rivers
- 5 Norfolk MP denies breaking ministerial code by working for PPE firm
- 6 Concern people are letting their guards down after getting Covid-19 jabs
- 7 More than 1,000 laptops donated to children in need in campaign
- 8 Zoom and online magic - how lockdown changed children's entertainment
- 9 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 10 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight