Housing development will salute town’s history thanks to school pupil
- Credit: Archant
A school pupil has won a competition to name a new housing development after Swaffham's most famous folklore character.
Faith Askew-Petten, who attends Swaffham Junior School, has been chosen by Persimmon Homes as winner of its competition to name the company's 165-home development.
The 10-year-old suggested the name 'Pedlars Meadow', a nod to the legendary Swaffham Pedlar who adorns the town sign.
Michelle Baker, sales director for Persimmon Homes Anglia, said: "We love to work alongside communities, so we were thrilled when Swaffham Junior School helped name our new site.
"Faith's name was absolutely perfect for this site, inspired by the legend of the Swaffham Pedlar who, following a dream, found buried treasure in his garden and used it to help the town's church and community.
You may also want to watch:
Nicola Kaye, headteacher at Swaffham Junior School, added: "The children had great fun in thinking up names and it will be very rewarding to know they have played their part in the history of Swaffham."
- 1 Household Cavalry to make Norfolk return
- 2 'Suspicious package' turns out to be hidden treasure chest
- 3 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 4 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 5 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 6 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
- 7 Further walk-in vaccination clinics being held across Norfolk and Waveney
- 8 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 9 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 10 Man charged with spate of burglaries and thefts in Norfolk and Suffolk