Housing development will salute town’s history thanks to school pupil
- Credit: Archant
A school pupil has won a competition to name a new housing development after Swaffham's most famous folklore character.
Faith Askew-Petten, who attends Swaffham Junior School, has been chosen by Persimmon Homes as winner of its competition to name the company's 165-home development.
The 10-year-old suggested the name 'Pedlars Meadow', a nod to the legendary Swaffham Pedlar who adorns the town sign.
Michelle Baker, sales director for Persimmon Homes Anglia, said: "We love to work alongside communities, so we were thrilled when Swaffham Junior School helped name our new site.
"Faith's name was absolutely perfect for this site, inspired by the legend of the Swaffham Pedlar who, following a dream, found buried treasure in his garden and used it to help the town's church and community.
You may also want to watch:
Nicola Kaye, headteacher at Swaffham Junior School, added: "The children had great fun in thinking up names and it will be very rewarding to know they have played their part in the history of Swaffham."
- 1 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 2 Man in 30s charged with Shipdham murder
- 3 'Truly sorry' glamping owner apologises after negative reviews
- 4 Council splashes out £780,000 on agile working
- 5 Covid infection rates plummet in Norfolk
- 6 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
- 7 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 8 Vast farm network aims to be a trailblazer for wildlife
- 9 7 things every child in Norfolk should do before they are five
- 10 Five-acre allotment site to be sold after failed council land swap deal