Swaffham hotel’s cream teas come out on top at awards
- Credit: Archant
A family run hotel is celebrating after its tea and cakes were crowned cream of the crop in the EDP Norfolk Food and Drink Awards 2016.
Strattons Hotel in Swaffham was named winner in the Best Afternoon Tea category, sponsored by Castlemeadow Care, beating runners up Biddy's Tea Room in Norwich and Titchwell Manor.
Judges in the annual competition praised the boutique hotel's afternoon tea – with sausage rolls, fresh scones, sandwiches and dainty cakes and tarts – as one which 'makes you smile with delight'.
They added: 'The teatime menu at Strattons Hotel is not just seasonal but celebrates important times and events in the year, with everything made in the hotel kitchen full of local ingredients.'
Hotel director Vanessa Scott puts the success down to head chef Julia Hetherton, who was previously named Young Chef of the Future at the Food and Drink Awards.
Ms Hetherton said: 'Cooking is my hobby not just my job, and I love to cook all the time, especially for people who love food.'
The successful businesses in the Food and Drink Awards' 11 categories were revealed during a ceremony at the Open in Norwich last week.
- 1 A47 reopens after serious crash near Swaffham
- 2 Teacher banned after 'inappropriate contact' with teenaged pupils
- 3 Man repeatedly kicked in the head by group during road rage attack
- 4 Oyez! Oyez! Oyez! UK's top town crier crowned in Norfolk
- 5 Gold Mercedes crashes through windows of Norfolk supermarket
- 6 Classic car show returns with vintage motorbikes and 'auto jumble' sale
- 7 A47 near Swaffham reopens after crash
- 8 Property: How do the new laws for renters affect you?
- 9 Motorcyclist who died in crash with minivan named
- 10 Interim parish council takes office after mass resignations
Guests from more than 40 businesses within the industry attended the event, where they were treated to a three-course meal, provided by Julie Abbs Catering.
It was hosted by David Whiteley, who presents Inside Out on BBC1, along with EDP Norfolk Magazine editor Angi Kennedy.
She said: 'These wonderful awards showcase the brilliant food and drink that our region has to offer – as well as the stars and experts who are the true champions of this important industry.'