Car parking trial gets off to positive start - but what do you think?
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2019
A car parking trial in Swaffham has started well, according to Breckland council.
Parking remains free but a short stay timed parking in some of its car parks was introduced on August 19.
The aim is to improve the turnover of cars using the car parks on Market Place, Pedlars and Pit Lane to free up spaces for visitors to use the high street.
Newly installed ticket machines have been issuing more than 1,300 car parking vouchers in a single day.
Councillor Paul Hewett, executive member for contracts and assets at the council, said: "It's still early days, but after the first week we were already seeing positive indications that things are working well.
"The trial approach intends to improve the turnover of cars using the car parks, freeing up spaces for visitors and residents to use the high streets.
"We'll continue to monitor feedback from drivers, the town council and local businesses to review the impact this is having on the town and formally review this at the end of six months."
- 1 Road closed after overhead powerlines go down
- 2 Converted water tower home to appear on Grand Designs
- 3 Banham Poultry deaths: Police investigate possible manslaughter
- 4 Drag Race star Bimini Bon Boulash announced for new festival at estate
- 5 RAF Marham fighter pilot crashes £100m F-35 in Mediterranean Sea
- 6 Opinion: Has 2021 been the dawn of a new 'Good Life'?
- 7 Former convent sold for £400,000 and could be converted into family home
- 8 A47 works to continue with further road closures
- 9 What do Amazon's credit card changes mean for you?
- 10 Objects found by metal detectorists declared as treasure
While many people appeared to embrace the changes, others were quick to flag up problems.
Mike Robinson said: "Not such a good start one machine in the Pedlars car park broken down."
It is believed that this has now been reported to the council.
Others took to social media, with one car park user posting on Twitter: "Looks like those new parking arrangements in Swaffham were making a difference yesterday. I could park."
And What's Going On In Swaffham also posted: "It's a beautiful morning in Swaffham, the sun is shining and the Swaffham Friday Indoor Market is up and running. The new parking system is 'go' so remember to get your ticket but there should be plenty of space!"
Long stay car parking remains available at Theatre Street, where 250 free spaces are available every day for visitors to the town wishing to spend longer there or for people working in Swaffham.
Car parking remains free of charge in all of Breckland Council's car parks.