Car parking trial gets off to positive start - but what do you think?
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2019
A car parking trial in Swaffham has started well, according to Breckland council.
Parking remains free but a short stay timed parking in some of its car parks was introduced on August 19.
The aim is to improve the turnover of cars using the car parks on Market Place, Pedlars and Pit Lane to free up spaces for visitors to use the high street.
Newly installed ticket machines have been issuing more than 1,300 car parking vouchers in a single day.
Councillor Paul Hewett, executive member for contracts and assets at the council, said: "It's still early days, but after the first week we were already seeing positive indications that things are working well.
You may also want to watch:
"The trial approach intends to improve the turnover of cars using the car parks, freeing up spaces for visitors and residents to use the high streets.
"We'll continue to monitor feedback from drivers, the town council and local businesses to review the impact this is having on the town and formally review this at the end of six months."
- 1 Sacked police officer admits child porn charges
- 2 Council splashes out £780,000 on agile working
- 3 Man in 30s charged with Shipdham murder
- 4 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 5 'Truly sorry' glamping owner apologises after negative reviews
- 6 Vast farm network aims to be a trailblazer for wildlife
- 7 Popular support services for the elderly in jeopardy
- 8 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 9 Teens aged 16-17 years old will be allowed vaccine before new school term
- 10 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman dies in village
While many people appeared to embrace the changes, others were quick to flag up problems.
Mike Robinson said: "Not such a good start one machine in the Pedlars car park broken down."
It is believed that this has now been reported to the council.
Others took to social media, with one car park user posting on Twitter: "Looks like those new parking arrangements in Swaffham were making a difference yesterday. I could park."
And What's Going On In Swaffham also posted: "It's a beautiful morning in Swaffham, the sun is shining and the Swaffham Friday Indoor Market is up and running. The new parking system is 'go' so remember to get your ticket but there should be plenty of space!"
Long stay car parking remains available at Theatre Street, where 250 free spaces are available every day for visitors to the town wishing to spend longer there or for people working in Swaffham.
Car parking remains free of charge in all of Breckland Council's car parks.