Speculation RAF Marham will not be closed
Speculation is mounting that RAF Marham will not be earmarked for closure in a defence cuts announcement this afternoon.Defence secretary Bob Ainsworth will instead target RAF Cottesmore in Rutland for closure, reports suggest.
Speculation is mounting that RAF Marham will not be earmarked for closure in a defence cuts announcement this afternoon.
Defence secretary Bob Ainsworth will instead target RAF Cottesmore in Rutland for closure, reports suggest.
It is understood however, that the Norfolk base, near Downham Market, could lose a squadron.
In a BBC interview this morning, defence minister Quentin Davies, when asked about the possibility of RAF airbase closures, said: 'If we can get by with fewer bases that will be a very good thing to do. We don't have bases for the sake of having bases, you know, they are not an end in themselves.
You may also want to watch:
'We have bases where it is necessary to contribute to our defence capability.'
An oral statement will be read in the House of Commons at around 3.30pm today.
- 1 Flats could replace disused shop space in town centre
- 2 Woman hurt as A47 crash leaves car in ditch
- 3 Burst main leaves villages without water
- 4 Inquests into deaths at Banham Poultry adjourned for seventh time
- 5 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 6 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 7 Specialist exercises for 'less mobile' during lockdown
- 8 Handyman from Watton died at home, inquest hears
- 9 Wetherspoon pubs reveal reopening plan after 'zero' sales
- 10 'I've lost my pension': Car collection destroyed by 'professional' vandal