Speculation RAF Marham will not be closed
Speculation is mounting that RAF Marham will not be earmarked for closure in a defence cuts announcement this afternoon.Defence secretary Bob Ainsworth will instead target RAF Cottesmore in Rutland for closure, reports suggest.
Speculation is mounting that RAF Marham will not be earmarked for closure in a defence cuts announcement this afternoon.
Defence secretary Bob Ainsworth will instead target RAF Cottesmore in Rutland for closure, reports suggest.
It is understood however, that the Norfolk base, near Downham Market, could lose a squadron.
In a BBC interview this morning, defence minister Quentin Davies, when asked about the possibility of RAF airbase closures, said: 'If we can get by with fewer bases that will be a very good thing to do. We don't have bases for the sake of having bases, you know, they are not an end in themselves.
You may also want to watch:
'We have bases where it is necessary to contribute to our defence capability.'
An oral statement will be read in the House of Commons at around 3.30pm today.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 What is the government's Plan B for Covid this winter?
- 5 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 6 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 7 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 8 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 9 Met Office issues warning for thunderstorms in Norfolk
- 10 People urged to share their views on the future of Breckland towns