Speculation RAF Marham will not be closed
Speculation is mounting that RAF Marham will not be earmarked for closure in a defence cuts announcement this afternoon.Defence secretary Bob Ainsworth will instead target RAF Cottesmore in Rutland for closure, reports suggest.
Speculation is mounting that RAF Marham will not be earmarked for closure in a defence cuts announcement this afternoon.
Defence secretary Bob Ainsworth will instead target RAF Cottesmore in Rutland for closure, reports suggest.
It is understood however, that the Norfolk base, near Downham Market, could lose a squadron.
In a BBC interview this morning, defence minister Quentin Davies, when asked about the possibility of RAF airbase closures, said: 'If we can get by with fewer bases that will be a very good thing to do. We don't have bases for the sake of having bases, you know, they are not an end in themselves.
'We have bases where it is necessary to contribute to our defence capability.'
An oral statement will be read in the House of Commons at around 3.30pm today.
- 1 Man seriously injured in A47 crash after police pursuit
- 2 A47 closed for several hours following crash in west Norfolk
- 3 Lane of A47 remains shut after serious crash yesterday afternoon
- 4 A47 reopens after man seriously injured in crash following police chase
- 5 Tesco recalls pastry product over risks to people with nut allergies
- 6 GP allowed non-clinical staff to change medications, inspection shows
- 7 'A wonderful achievement' - Carbrooke residents finally get community hub
- 8 Daughter's 100-mile charity pledge for father who died of cancer
- 9 Woman in 70s left with life-threatening injuries after crash near Swaffham
- 10 Female governor of Norfolk prison says job is 'easier than being a mum'