Speculation RAF Marham will not be closed
Speculation is mounting that RAF Marham will not be earmarked for closure in a defence cuts announcement this afternoon.Defence secretary Bob Ainsworth will instead target RAF Cottesmore in Rutland for closure, reports suggest.
Speculation is mounting that RAF Marham will not be earmarked for closure in a defence cuts announcement this afternoon.
Defence secretary Bob Ainsworth will instead target RAF Cottesmore in Rutland for closure, reports suggest.
It is understood however, that the Norfolk base, near Downham Market, could lose a squadron.
In a BBC interview this morning, defence minister Quentin Davies, when asked about the possibility of RAF airbase closures, said: 'If we can get by with fewer bases that will be a very good thing to do. We don't have bases for the sake of having bases, you know, they are not an end in themselves.
You may also want to watch:
'We have bases where it is necessary to contribute to our defence capability.'
An oral statement will be read in the House of Commons at around 3.30pm today.
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 3 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 4 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 5 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 6 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 7 Asda says redundancy 'last option' for bakery staff
- 8 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
- 9 Rapid coronavirus testing site set for launch in Thetford
- 10 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched