Speculation RAF Marham will not be closed
Speculation is mounting that RAF Marham will not be earmarked for closure in a defence cuts announcement this afternoon.Defence secretary Bob Ainsworth will instead target RAF Cottesmore in Rutland for closure, reports suggest.
Speculation is mounting that RAF Marham will not be earmarked for closure in a defence cuts announcement this afternoon.
Defence secretary Bob Ainsworth will instead target RAF Cottesmore in Rutland for closure, reports suggest.
It is understood however, that the Norfolk base, near Downham Market, could lose a squadron.
In a BBC interview this morning, defence minister Quentin Davies, when asked about the possibility of RAF airbase closures, said: 'If we can get by with fewer bases that will be a very good thing to do. We don't have bases for the sake of having bases, you know, they are not an end in themselves.
You may also want to watch:
'We have bases where it is necessary to contribute to our defence capability.'
An oral statement will be read in the House of Commons at around 3.30pm today.
- 1 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 2 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 3 Risk of flooding in parts of region as storms slowly move in
- 4 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 5 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
- 6 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 7 Pretty 17th century cottage linked to Lord Nelson for sale
- 8 Delays to thousands of bin collections across Breckland
- 9 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
- 10 7 places to avoid the crowds in Norfolk this summer