Soft play and laser tag could come to town
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
Children could have a new soft play area and laser tag zone as a gym owner vows to give youngsters more to do in their town.
Peter Dive, 33, is the owner of Full Fitness Gym in Norwich Road, Watton.
After seeing families in the town complain that there is not enough for youngsters to do he took it into his own hands, re-purposing parts of his gym.
Early this year Mr Dive created a climbing wall, called Just Grip, which he said had proved to be a success with teens and children.
Now he is converting more space to offer different activities to youngsters.
You may also want to watch:
He said: "I'm now realising having a gym so big in Watton is overkill.
"Bury St Edmunds and Norwich have thousands of people but Watton will always have a cap. So we need to offer amazing facilities for smaller groups of people and be more on demand."
- 1 Flats could replace disused shop space in town centre
- 2 Woman hurt as A47 crash leaves car in ditch
- 3 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 4 Burst main leaves villages without water
- 5 Handyman from Watton died at home, inquest hears
- 6 Inquests into deaths at Banham Poultry adjourned for seventh time
- 7 Care home residents get taste of skydiving and rollercoasters
- 8 'I didn't want to bother NHS' - Cancer scare mum urges others to seek help
- 9 Timeline: When should you receive the coronavirus vaccine?
- 10 Wetherspoon pubs reveal reopening plan after 'zero' sales
In this paper's Watton Town Survey it was found that more than 70pc of those surveyed said that there was not enough for young people to do.
The town does not have a swimming pool or cinema, with families having to travel to surrounding towns.
An area over two floors would be converted into a new space, with gym equipment being relocated in the building.
Mr Dive added: "With the gym kit moving into another area we wouldn't lose anything, we would then gain two or potentially three businesses spaces.
"Parents want to drop kids off and work out so there's the possibility of having a soft play area.
"However, we can build it with a laser tag system so in the day we will have lights on and a ball area with hanging pieces but then after 5pm we can have sessions for teams to book, birthday parties or turn up and play events."
He said it would then create a centre consisting of not just the gym and injury facilities but a dedicated area for the youth of the town.
What do you think can be done to improve Watton? Email email@example.com