Slideshow: Queen's praise for RAF reservists
Chris BishopThe Queen praised the vital role of RAF reservists today as she presented new colours to three auxiliary squadrons.Chris Bishop
The Queen praised the vital role of RAF reservists today as she presented a new Sovereign Colour and 2 Royal Auxiliary Air Force Regiment Squadrons with their first Squadron Standards.
Hundreds of families, friends and dignitaries gathered beside the runway at RAF Marham to watch a new Sovereign's Colour being presented to the Royal Auxiliary Air Force and 2 new squadron colours being presented to Marham-based 2620 County of Norfolk Sqn, and Honington-based 2623 East Anglian Sqn.
Men and women from all three squadrons were on parade as the Queen arrived by Limousine, wearing a violet silk dress with matching wool coat and hat. Helicopters, a Hercules transport plane and three of Marham's Tornado jets performed a fly-past.
After presenting the colours, the Queen paid tribute to the reservists, who are deployed alongside regular members of the RAF Regiment on active service.
You may also want to watch:
"Since I presented your first colours in 1989, world events have led to fundamental changes in all our armed forces, not least our auxiliary forces," the Queen said.
"Since 1989 more than 2,000 of your men and women have been called for active service and have served with distinction alongside your regular counterparts on operations at home and elsewhere. It's a record of which you can be justly proud.
- 1 Household Cavalry to make Norfolk return
- 2 Couple reveal reason for closing 30-year-old firm
- 3 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 4 'Suspicious package' turns out to be hidden treasure chest
- 5 Teams to take on 375-mile walking challenge for Norfolk charities
- 6 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 7 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 8 Election 2021: Norfolk and Suffolk council candidates published
- 9 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 10 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
""You have sadly suffered casualties and your country owes a debt of gratitude to families, friends and employers whose support and encouragement to your volunteer service is absolutely vital."
After a ceremonial march-past, the Queen met service personnel and their families at a reception on the base.