Poppy appeal donation from poetry sales
A Royal British Legion (RBL) standard bearer who wrote a collection of poems based in everyday life has donated �120 to the poppy appeal.
Alan Chilvers, of Goldfinch Way, Watton, sold Poems From a Silly Grandad – a title inspired by his four-year-old granddaughter Maisie, also from Watton - earlier this year.
His book was sold at Edwards Newsagent on Watton High Street and Witley's Newsagents, High Street, Hunstanton, and �1 from each sale went towards the RBL's Watton and District Branch poppy appeal.
He presented the cheque to Jean Sell, honorary organiser for the Watton and District Branch poppy appeal, in the High Street on Saturday, November 3.
Mr Chilvers, a retired postman, said: 'I'm quite satisfied with how many books I sold. I didn't expect to sell that many. I want to thank family, friends and the public for supporting me.'
You may also want to watch:
Mrs Sell said: 'It all helps nicely towards the collection, which we hope to get to over �12,000. The book has gone down well with people. Every little penny helps.'
There are still 70 copies of the book available, which can be bought from Mr Chilvers. He can be contacted by ringing 07749 276676 or emailing email@example.com
- 1 'Lost a couple of staff members a day' - how the 'pingdemic' is hitting Norfolk
- 2 'We will get it back' - Care home told to improve but boss stays positive
- 3 Met office issue weather warnings for thunderstorms in parts of Norfolk
- 4 Father and son rescued after being swept out to sea
- 5 'Slow down, save lives' - Police launch speed awareness campaign
- 6 Pings and exemptions: What are the rules around self-isolation?
- 7 Trains cancelled due to flooding - and more heavy rain expected
- 8 Pony hire business to offer circus shows in your garden
- 9 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 10 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
Poppies will be sold on Watton High Street between 9am and noon on Wednesday, November 7, and Saturday, November 10. They will also be sold at Tesco in Watton on Wednesday, November 7, Thursday, November 8, and Friday, November 9, between 9am and 4.30pm.