New post office for Norfolk town finally opens
- Credit: Archant
After more than six months of waiting a Norfolk town has finally welcomed back a post office to its high street.
The new post office in Watton Edwards News in Watton was officially opened by mayor Tina Kiddell and the town's MP, George Freeman.
The new post office within the newsagent on the high street is only metres away from the former post office.
Chandni Changela will be the postmistress and will run the post office inside the shop run by her husband Deven.
Watton mayor Tina Kiddell said the post office reopening would bring the heart back to Watton.
You may also want to watch:
She said: 'We are really lucky to be here today because we are opening the new post office. It is bringing the heart back to Watton.
'All being well on Monday morning we will be open for business here and Deven and his lovely family have brought this back to Watton for us.'
- 1 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 2 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 3 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 4 'Thank you for everything' - How Norfolk marked Duke of Edinburgh's funeral
- 5 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 6 Norfolk attractions enjoy 'amazing' Saturday as visitors flood back
- 7 Asda says redundancy 'last option' for bakery staff
- 8 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
- 9 Rapid coronavirus testing site set for launch in Thetford
- 10 On the buses: Mobile Covid vaccination service is launched
George Freeman, who had campaigned for the return of the post office, said: 'It is fantastic we are here today to formally open the new post office here on Watton high street.
'Post offices are absolutely key to rural communities, towns and villages, and I fought like a tiger to prevent closures in Norfolk.
'I am delighted that we have got this post office here in the shop in the heart of a vibrant community that really wants to use the post office and sees it as the heart of this town.'
The post office will be open for longer and throughout the whole week, something Mr Freeman said would make it more convenient and allow people to shop and use the service all in one place.
He added: 'It's not the old post offices that we all remember from childhood, it is a different model, but it is the post office embedded in a community shop and I think you see from the response here today and the smiles and the happiness on people's faces that it is a model people want to make work.'
The Post Office will be open during the same hours Watton Edwards News opens, from 6am until 5.30pm, Monday to Saturday, and 6.30am until 1pm on Sunday.
It will open to the public on Monday, February 18.