Keep an eye on the birds!
Garden bird lovers are being encouraged to become nosey neighbours following a huge affordable house building programme.An estimated 30,000 householders took part in the British Trust for Ornithology's (BTO) annual National Bird Box Week earlier this month to put up new homes for their feathered friends.
Garden bird lovers are being encouraged to become nosey neighbours following a huge affordable house building programme.
An estimated 30,000 householders took part in the British Trust for Ornithology's (BTO) annual National Bird Box Week earlier this month to put up new homes for their feathered friends.
Officials from the Thetford-based organisation, in partnership with the BBC, are now calling on people to register and record the activity at their new and old bird boxes over the spring.
More than 12,500 sites were recorded last year as part of the Nest Box Challenge, with bird researchers hoping that more than 6,000 will be registered by March 14.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Dave Leech, head of the nest record scheme at the BTO, said monitoring garden bird boxes provided hours of entertainment, but also served as an important scientific tool.
“As the countryside becomes more developed, our gardens become increasingly important havens for wildlife. It is therefore vital that we find out just how well they provide for our breeding birds. By taking part in Nest Box Challenge 2008, you can help to provide the answers that we are looking for,” he said.
- 1 Crucial step taken towards new leisure centre for town
- 2 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
- 3 Public hearing for long-delayed A47 dualling plans
- 4 Police chief warns of 'inevitable' rise in certain crimes after pandemic
- 5 7 of the prettiest villages to visit in Norfolk
- 6 Record numbers in Norfolk ‘pinged’ to isolate by NHS Covid app
- 7 Find out who made the Norfolk Day Drabble writing competition shortlist
- 8 7 places to avoid the crowds in Norfolk this summer
- 9 Family's joy as beloved dog returns home after week-long search
- 10 Thunderstorms and heavy rain warning for Norfolk
For more information, visit www.bto.org.