Homes plan could bring town cash boost
Swaffham could see a major housing development give the town a financial shot in the arm.Abel Homes has applied to build 51 homes on the former Bernard Matthews site at Castle Acre Road.
Swaffham could see a major housing development give the town a financial shot in the arm.
Abel Homes has applied to build 51 homes on the former Bernard Matthews site at Castle Acre Road.
The buildings would range from one bedroom apartments to five bedroom houses, and existing entrances onto the site would be improved.
Should Breckland Council give the scheme the green light, 15 of the properties would be affordable homes and developer Abel Homes would donate £11,900 to recreational provision, £128,084 to local schools and £3,060 to library services.
You may also want to watch:
Despite objections from Swaffham town council over the number of access points and drainage problems the Highway Authority has raised no concerns and a Flood Risk Assessment has shown a new drainage system will be installed.
The site, which was partially developed in the 1960s as a factory, but most recently used as a turkey hatchery, is north of the town centre and already met by established housing on three sides.
- 1 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
- 2 Could we face coronavirus restrictions over Christmas?
- 3 Night out safety advice issued after drink-spiking reports in Norfolk
- 4 Delays on A47 due to collapsed manhole cover
- 5 National Living Wage workers to receive pay rise next year
- 6 Town to introduce ice skating at annual Christmas light switch-on
- 7 Norfolk carer named one of best in the country
- 8 Natalie Imbruglia announced for major new festival at Norfolk estate
- 9 Farm park wins accolade for helping 'amazing' rare animals
- 10 Soil testing firm to create 45 new jobs in Norfolk
Breckland's development control committee will decide whether to approve the scheme on Monday, and in the same meeting will decide whether to approve another application from the developer to demolish the site's existing hatchery, warehouse building and bungalow.