Norfolk has country's best Covid vaccination rate for first doses
- Credit: Ian Burt
Norfolk and Waveney has the best Covid vaccination rate in the country when it comes to giving out first doses, new figures have revealed.
Four out of every five adults in the area - or 80.3pc of the population - have now had at least one coronavirus jab.
Fresh data published by NHS England on Thursday showed 684,267 people have attended appointments so far.
It means that, out of 42 health systems across the nation, Norfolk and Waveney Health and Care Partnership tops the pile for the first time since the programme began in December.
During the latest seven-day period, up to June 6, another 15,662 people went for a vaccine for the very first time.
In close second is Somerset, which has been leading the way for several weeks and whose first dose vaccination rate stands at 80.2pc.
Earlier this week, those aged 25 to 29 became eligible to book appointments via the NHS' national system.
The government has previously said its aim is for everyone to have been offered at least one vaccine by the end of July.
- 1 Pub hands out free ice creams during road collision traffic jam
- 2 Mum brings youth focus to town hall
- 3 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 4 Oh deer! Muntjac escorted out of Tesco after sprinting into bakery
- 5 Father's touching tattoo tribute to cancer surviving daughter
- 6 'No chance of rescheduling' - July events in jeopardy if lockdown extended
- 7 What are the other options if June 21 'Freedom Day' is cancelled?
- 8 Holiday home owner calls for guidance over foreign workers
- 9 Delight as restart date confirmed for parkrun events
- 10 UEA expert in infectious diseases expects delay to 'Freedom Day'
Melanie Craig, chief executive of Norfolk and Waveney Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), which has been leading the local rollout, again urged everyone to take up the opportunity.
She added: “Getting the life-saving Covid-19 jab is the most important thing you can do to safeguard yourself and those you care about.
"It’s really important we keep the enthusiasm and momentum going so, if you’re over 25, get your jab booked in."
A further significant milestone has also been reached in Norfolk and Waveney, with three out of five adults now having received both shots.
A total of 512,478 patients, or 60.2pc of the population, are now fully vaccinated after another 40,184 went for jabs in the latest week.
In all, 1,196,745 Covid vaccines have been administered in Norfolk and Waveney.
Between May 31 and June 6 a total of 55,846 injections were given out, a decline on last week's figure of 66,306.
In terms of more specific areas, East Suffolk (81.5pc), North Norfolk (80.7pc) and Broadland (79.8pc) feature in the top 10 local authorities across the country for first dose vaccination rate.
Moreover, North Norfolk has the nation's third-best vaccination rate for second doses (63.9pc).
It does, however, have one of England's oldest populations.