Care home helps Gill, 83, reignite passion for horses
- Credit: Kingsley Healthcare
An 83-year-old care home resident's wish came true as she was given the chance to reignite her passion for horses.
Gill Martinez grew up with a love for horse riding during the era of clothes rationing - which made buying jodhpurs and riding boots difficult.
Although dementia has cruelly taken away so many of her memories, she still spends hours gazing at horses in adjoining fields from her window at Thorp House nursing home in Griston, near Watton.
And, thanks to the home's wishing tree initiative, Mrs Martinez was treated to a trip to Eden Meadows Riding Centre, in Attleborough.
Before the coronavirus pandemic, she was able to tour the yard and visit the stables where she groomed a horse named Charlie.
You may also want to watch:
Her son, Paul Martinez, said: "It was lovely to see mum so happy doing something she loved from her childhood.
“We were so grateful that Thorp House helped her reconnect with nature, something that has been a big part of her life.”
- 1 Couple sell pub with Nelson link after council stops dream project
- 2 Motoring giant pledges more than 600 brand new laptops to appeal
- 3 Waits for second Covid jabs on target in our region
- 4 Wind farm engineers to drill below cliffs and rivers
- 5 Concern people are letting their guards down after getting Covid-19 jabs
- 6 Norfolk MP denies breaking ministerial code by working for PPE firm
- 7 Covid led to huge fall in Norfolk parking fines and £1.3m budget hole
- 8 More than 1,000 laptops donated to children in need in campaign
- 9 Ice warning after freezing temperatures overnight
- 10 It's 'a long, long way' until lockdown restrictions are lifted - Hancock