Grand-daughter of Swaffham garage founder dies aged 81
Peggy Wright - died aged 81. PEGGY Wright, a grand-daughter of the founder of Swaffham's oldest-established garage, has died aged 81.
Peggy Wright - died aged 81.
PEGGY Wright, a grand-daughter of the founder of Swaffham's oldest-established garage, has died aged 81.
With her late husband, Frank, she spent her working wife devoted to the family business, which had been established by his father, Alec Wright in Station Street in 1917.
You may also want to watch:
After war service in the RAF, her husband and his older brother, Walter, took over the family business. With their mechanical skills, they concentrated on the repair side but also developed the 24-hour breakdown recovery service, then based at Lynn Road.
As both had gained invaluable experience in the war on crash rescue, it was to stand them in good stead as they responded to accidents, quickly and efficiently.
- 1 Household Cavalry to make Norfolk return
- 2 Norfolk's Covid rate still low despite slight rises in some areas
- 3 'Suspicious package' turns out to be hidden treasure chest
- 4 One of Norfolk's most expensive homes for sale for £3.5million
- 5 Street light debate councillor says education would stop fear of dark
- 6 Norfolk County Council elections 2021: Who is standing in Breckland?
- 7 Norfolk has no Covid patients in critical care for first time in six months
- 8 Historic Debenhams building goes up for rent
- 9 Family attractions back for big weekend after months of shutdown
- 10 People without Covid symptoms urged to use new walk-in test site
It was the end of an era after 71 years when the brothers retired in September 1988 and sold the business to a Great Yarmouth petrol station owner. Peggy, who was born in Aylsham, revealed that they did their courting behind the counter of the garage, then spent much of her retirement caring for her late husband.
She leaves a son, Alex, and granddaughter, Selene.
A funeral service will be held at SS Peter & Paul Church, Swaffham on Wednesday, January 6 (2pm) followed by cremation at Mintlyn Crematorium, King's Lynn, 3.15pm.