Grand-daughter of Swaffham garage founder dies aged 81
Peggy Wright - died aged 81. PEGGY Wright, a grand-daughter of the founder of Swaffham's oldest-established garage, has died aged 81.
Peggy Wright - died aged 81.
PEGGY Wright, a grand-daughter of the founder of Swaffham's oldest-established garage, has died aged 81.
With her late husband, Frank, she spent her working wife devoted to the family business, which had been established by his father, Alec Wright in Station Street in 1917.
You may also want to watch:
After war service in the RAF, her husband and his older brother, Walter, took over the family business. With their mechanical skills, they concentrated on the repair side but also developed the 24-hour breakdown recovery service, then based at Lynn Road.
As both had gained invaluable experience in the war on crash rescue, it was to stand them in good stead as they responded to accidents, quickly and efficiently.
- 1 'Disgusting' - councillor slams culprits for defecating on footpaths and in front gardens
- 2 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 3 How Norfolk and Waveney MPs voted in coronavirus tiers vote
- 4 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 5 'He's a dear little dog' - Thieves steal family pet Arthur
- 6 Rough sleepers' plea to be 'kept inside' as council secures £635k funding
- 7 Why have Norfolk and Suffolk been placed in Tier 2?
- 8 'He cried, I cried' - Loved ones reunited through care home's pilot test scheme
- 9 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
- 10 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
It was the end of an era after 71 years when the brothers retired in September 1988 and sold the business to a Great Yarmouth petrol station owner. Peggy, who was born in Aylsham, revealed that they did their courting behind the counter of the garage, then spent much of her retirement caring for her late husband.
She leaves a son, Alex, and granddaughter, Selene.
A funeral service will be held at SS Peter & Paul Church, Swaffham on Wednesday, January 6 (2pm) followed by cremation at Mintlyn Crematorium, King's Lynn, 3.15pm.