Grand-daughter of Swaffham garage founder dies aged 81
Peggy Wright - died aged 81. PEGGY Wright, a grand-daughter of the founder of Swaffham's oldest-established garage, has died aged 81.
Peggy Wright - died aged 81.
PEGGY Wright, a grand-daughter of the founder of Swaffham's oldest-established garage, has died aged 81.
With her late husband, Frank, she spent her working wife devoted to the family business, which had been established by his father, Alec Wright in Station Street in 1917.
You may also want to watch:
After war service in the RAF, her husband and his older brother, Walter, took over the family business. With their mechanical skills, they concentrated on the repair side but also developed the 24-hour breakdown recovery service, then based at Lynn Road.
As both had gained invaluable experience in the war on crash rescue, it was to stand them in good stead as they responded to accidents, quickly and efficiently.
- 1 'Don't mix, shop online' - People urged to go beyond lockdown rules
- 2 'I didn't want to bother NHS' - Cancer scare mum urges others to seek help
- 3 Vaccines roll-out to move on to over 70s
- 4 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 5 Mass coronavirus vaccination centre opens in Norwich today
- 6 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 7 Risk of flooding after parts of Norfolk see 8cm of snow
- 8 Everything we know so far about Covid vaccinations in Norfolk and Waveney
- 9 Man charged with drink-driving on the A11
- 10 Woman faces trial for causing deaths of Norfolk couple
It was the end of an era after 71 years when the brothers retired in September 1988 and sold the business to a Great Yarmouth petrol station owner. Peggy, who was born in Aylsham, revealed that they did their courting behind the counter of the garage, then spent much of her retirement caring for her late husband.
She leaves a son, Alex, and granddaughter, Selene.
A funeral service will be held at SS Peter & Paul Church, Swaffham on Wednesday, January 6 (2pm) followed by cremation at Mintlyn Crematorium, King's Lynn, 3.15pm.