Grand-daughter of Swaffham garage founder dies aged 81
Peggy Wright - died aged 81. PEGGY Wright, a grand-daughter of the founder of Swaffham's oldest-established garage, has died aged 81.
Peggy Wright - died aged 81.
PEGGY Wright, a grand-daughter of the founder of Swaffham's oldest-established garage, has died aged 81.
With her late husband, Frank, she spent her working wife devoted to the family business, which had been established by his father, Alec Wright in Station Street in 1917.
You may also want to watch:
After war service in the RAF, her husband and his older brother, Walter, took over the family business. With their mechanical skills, they concentrated on the repair side but also developed the 24-hour breakdown recovery service, then based at Lynn Road.
As both had gained invaluable experience in the war on crash rescue, it was to stand them in good stead as they responded to accidents, quickly and efficiently.
- 1 Sacked police officer admits child porn charges
- 2 Council splashes out £780,000 on agile working
- 3 Man in 30s charged with Shipdham murder
- 4 Woman admits causing deaths of Norfolk couple in road crash
- 5 'Truly sorry' glamping owner apologises after negative reviews
- 6 Popular support services for the elderly in jeopardy
- 7 Vast farm network aims to be a trailblazer for wildlife
- 8 What has Breckland's Market Towns Initiative achieved?
- 9 Villagers in shock after woman dies in suspected murder
- 10 Teens aged 16-17 years old will be allowed vaccine before new school term
It was the end of an era after 71 years when the brothers retired in September 1988 and sold the business to a Great Yarmouth petrol station owner. Peggy, who was born in Aylsham, revealed that they did their courting behind the counter of the garage, then spent much of her retirement caring for her late husband.
She leaves a son, Alex, and granddaughter, Selene.
A funeral service will be held at SS Peter & Paul Church, Swaffham on Wednesday, January 6 (2pm) followed by cremation at Mintlyn Crematorium, King's Lynn, 3.15pm.